Episode 3

Chapter 7

Prudence took Cassandra down to the photo shop to pick up the pictures.

“You three make a beautiful family,” Prudence said as she looked at the pictures. “Are you going to keep all five?”

“No. One’s going to Grant; one’s going to Rev. and Mrs. Barnett; one is for you,” Cassandra said handing one to Prudence.  ”And I’ll keep the other two,” Cassandra said placing the pictures in her pocketbook. “In fact, why don’t we swing by the restaurant so that I can give it to Rev. Barnett myself.”

“Thank you so much, Cassandra,” Rev. Barnett said as he looked at the picture. “It’s beautiful. If my wife and I can do anything for you, please let us know.”

“I will,” Cassandra said. “Have you heard from Grant?” she asked.

“Why, yes, we have. We received a phone call and a postcard from him,” Rev. Barnett said. “He said he tried calling you, but got a message saying your number had been changed. If you have a new number I can give it to him.” Rev. Barnett could not say for sure, but recalling the not-too-cordial meeting he and Grant had with her father he had no doubt that her parents had something to do with her number being changed. Plus, the surprised look on her face was a dead giveaway that she knew nothing about it.

Cassandra could not hide the disappointment on her face as he continued speaking. “He said he sent you a postcard to let you know he arrived in Miami safely. Did you receive it?”

Cassandra shook her head no.

“You might want to check with your parents,” Rev. Barnett said.

. . .

“You know Athaliah,” he said to his wife later that evening, “I wouldn’t put it past her parents hiding the postcard Grant sent. We got ours. There’s no reason she should not have received hers.”

____________

That same evening, Cassandra asked her mother about the postcard and her number being changed.

“No, Cassandra, I did not pick up a postcard from Grant in the mail. And, yes, I did have you number changed so he would not keep calling you. Your father has already spoken to Rev. Barnett and we do not want that boy calling here.”

“Mother, how could you? You know that is the best way for Grant to keep in touch with us. Don’t you think he will want to know about his son? I mean, what harm can a phone call do? I’m going to tell Dad when he comes home.”

“There’s no need to, honey. Your father is the one who does not want you and that boy to have any contact whatsoever. It’s best for you and the baby to break all ties with that boy now before you end up getting hurt in years to come. Trust me, we have your best interest at heart.”

“No you don’t. You have your best interest at heart; certainly not mine and Grant Lee’s. And Grant is not a boy; he’s proving to be more of an adult than you and Dad put together. Oh, and by the way, I’ll be in church on Sunday with Grant Lee.”

____________

Rev. Nichols left early for church on Sunday morning to put in some extra studying in preparation for the services. He expressed concern to his wife as they sipped on coffee around the kitchen table as to how to best tell the congregation about Grant Lee without lying and without causing a stir. Neither of them heard Cassandra coming down the stairs to warm the baby’s formula. Cassandra stopped at the bottom of the stairs and listened.

“There is nothing you could do to prevent her from coming to church?”

“No. She’s dead set on coming,” her mother said.

I'm Dreaming of a Black ChristmasOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara