chapter 31 (Bad Luck)

Start from the beginning

"You're not homely."

"Hmm?" I let out a long breath as the elevator doors slid shut.

"You're not homely. Just thought you should know."

My chest tightened a little when Akram broke his grasp on my arm and took a step farther.

I folded my arms around my squishy Boov. "You don't have to say that just to please me."

"I'm not." Akram's tone was strong and confident, yet, I couldn't meet his eyes. I was making a fool out of myself again.

"Sorry. I- I'm not good with compliments." I stared at my feet, strangling the fuzzy toy and feeling the tremors of the moving elevator pulling us a long way down.

There was an awkward moment of silence again. I turned my head slowly to peek at Akram. His eyebrows were knitted together, his lips pursed. Something was bothering him. If my guess was correct, I was the reason for his aggravation.

A minute later, Akram's frown relaxed. He sighed, raking his hair with his fingers. "I don't know why you say these things, but you're much more than what you give yourself credit for."

Guilt devoured me to hear his trusting words. I pressed my lips, briefly squeezing my eyes shut. He didn't know I was much worse than he could imagine. Much worse than just a cowardly liar.

"I wish you weren't so nice to me, " I murmured against the head of my furry friend. It had already become my stress reliever.

Akram muttered something in what I guessed was Arabic and his hands sailed to brush the sides of his head. I just hoped he wasn't cursing me. "What did you just say?"

He sighed deeply. "I was praying for mercy."

I narrowed my eyes. "Why?"

"Because we all need it." Akram bared a tight smile before the elevator hit the ground floor and stopped. "You're not going to let me walk you home, are you?"

"I'm sorry. I can't." I shook my head. He clearly noticed my intended purpose. "I'll just take the sub."

"Please, let me walk with you. Only as far as you say." Akram stood on the sidewalk, holding his hands up in a plea, the same irresistible look in his eyes.

Contemplating the offer, I glanced at his face, biting the tip of my thumb. A fleeting thought of Akram following me to the shelter passed in my head and made me shudder.

"Don't worry. I'm not going to stalk you. I'm not that creepy." Akram nodded, giving me a reassuring smile.

He can read my mind? RIP Edward Cullen.

"Alright." I gave a faint smile in return and hurried to stride away from the building before I faced any more unwanted surprises.

"Hey, stop running." Akram strode to catch up with me. "I can tell you're not a good runner."

There was something in Akram's playful tone that made my speeding heart decelerate. He had this simple way of shifting my mood and making me feel at ease without even trying.

"Sorry. I'm sort of a stumblebum." I slowed down so that I wouldn't trip on air again and accepted his outstretched hand. His hand was now, literally, my lifeline.

So is his smile. And his voice. And his cinnamon eyes. And I should really stop being so needy before I turn him off forever.

"So, how was your summer?" I decided to be the one to start the conversation as we walked down the sidewalk towards Times Square.