Chapter 12

Chapter 12
Allie
"Son of a bitch," I growled to myself as I stuck a pin through thick skin and threaded the string till the cut joined together.
"Who the hell does he think he is?" I asked myself, trying to take my anger out on my arm, "Orderin' me like that. There will be no mister nice guy," I mimicked, "What the hell?"
I groaned, threading the pin through more skin. What the hell does he think he was doin? Teachin' me a lesson? Showin' that I could be tamped after all? Ah, boy was he wrong. It was going to take a lot more than a lecture and having to sow myself up for me to bow down to him.
My wolf stirred as if she knew that I was lying. I wasn't. But for some reason she thought that I had been. Bitch.
"I hate him," I growled, growing more furious as the piecing pain from the pin grew, "I hate him, I hate him, I hate him. Ahhh!"
I hissed, biting my lip as I continued to sow. God, why didn't I say yes to Ma when she asked if I wanted her to teach me how to sow.
That's how fast it takes! That's how fast it can take for you to become prey
What the hell did he know? What the hell was he suggestin'? God, I knew what he was suggesting. That if I wasn't careful, I could be an easy target for rape. I mean, that's why he jumped me, wasn't it? To show me just how easy it was for any man to pin me down and spread my legs. I shuddered at the thought.
This isn't Foal Coillie. No one around here is goin' to leave you be or do as you ask or even go easy on you because your Steaphan Patterson's daughter.
I tried to get his words out of my head and tried to convince myself that they weren't true, but I couldn't. They were true, I guess that's why I was so angry. The whole reason why I jumped in between the wolves was because I thought the first wolf would back off once he realized that I wasn't going to allow him to hurt the other wolf. I did not intend for him to make me his target or Hector to make me his play thing as he watched as the other wolves ripped me a part. I also didn't intend to be spoken to like a child from Nick or for him to take me off guard.
You're not a princess here! And whatever you might think, you're the enemy
What the hell did he mean by that? Enemy? I was not the enemy. If anything, I was the victim. I mean, it's not like I wanted to be here. No, I was kidnapped. Does anyone remember that part of the story? Nick apparently hasn't. No, I was his prisoner now. It makes you my prisoner and keeps the other wolves at bay. God, I could murder him.
I snapped off the last of the thread once my arm was finally stitched. Looking down on it, even I thought it was horribly done. I made a mental note to ask Malcolm to teach me – that's if I ever got home. Once, he had revealed that he had once or twice had to stitch himself up. So, maybe he could give me a few tips.
The rest of my body was okay, I guess. The bite mark on the back of my thigh was just about healed, so had my ear and hand. My muscles ached however and I was sure that I had cracked a rib.
"You ready?"
I jumped at the sound of Nick's voice as he appeared from nowhere. A hiss escaped my lips as my stitches pulled.
When I looked up and spied Nick's face, I saw how he was trying to fight himself. Continuing to teach me a lesson or help me. He chose the first.
"Ready for what?" I groaned, with a sigh.
"I'm takin' you somewhere to get clean up," he told me.
"Are you goin' to tell me where or is that part of my punishment?" I asked, narrowing my eyes at him.
He rolled his eyes and moved over to the chest-of-draws. It was only then that I realized that he had found some jeans to wear.
"I'm takin' you to the river to clean your wounds," he informed me, pulling out a towel from the second draw.
As much as I wanted to have some sort of bath and now that I was covered in blood, I needed it more than ever, I wasn't going to following him willingly.
"And what if I don't want to?" I asked, testing him.
"It's funny how you think you have a choice. Now come on," he said nodded towards the exit.
I groaned and stumbled over to him.
"Why do I feel like I'm suddenly back at school?" I asked, as Nick snatched my arm.
I would love to think that it was just for show but I'm sure it was precaution seeing that I was a flight risk.
"I'm sorry," he said, not meaning it, "But you have lost the privilege to be spoken to as an adult."
"There you go again," I said, before I could stop myself.
"I'm sorry, how do you want me to speak to you," he growled, halting in a hurry and pulling my arm in the process, "I expected you to have the brains to stay in the tent. Apparently you don't, so aye, I'll continue to treat you like this."
He set off again, causing me to growl and groan in frustration. No one has ever told me what to do, especially a wolf that was lower in the wolf hierarchy than me. And now, I was being dragged around, spoken down to. Not to mention Nick's quick change of personality. Earlier today, I thought he was different, sweet even. But now, he was controlling and rough. I wasn't sure if I could allow that.
"So what are you plannin'?" I asked him, "Take me to the river, wash me?"
"No, you're goin' to do it yourself, I'm just makin' sure that you don't run off."
I scoffed, not believing him, "What's your angle?"
He sighed, annoyed by my disbelief, "my angle is to teach you that you're not some princess that everyone will listen to."
I rolled my eyes. This again. I will think of myself anyway I want and no big wolf will tell me otherwise.
As we grew closer to the river, I noticed bodies in the water. I slightly looked at Nick who looked as if he was trying to avoid my gaze. He wasn't slowly down.
As we got closer, I realized that they were large male bodies, probably some of them were part of the crowd from earlier today.
Nick and I had reached the rocky bank by the time one spotted us and called out.
"Givin' us a new bath toy, ay, Nicky!" he called out, splashing around.
Instantly, Nick's grip on my arm tightened.
"Aye, she fought dirty today!" another called out, "I would say she needs a good clean."
My mouth dropped, offended as the other lads laughed. The rude pricks. It would have to take a lot more than that for me to get naked around them.
Just as I was about to give them a piece of my mind, there was a yank on my arm.
My head shot toward Nick's warning look and rolled my eyes. Oh right, I was on probation.
"Come on," he said, nodding towards a group of trees.
I allowed him to lead me in any direction he wished. As long as if it was nowhere near male prying eyes.
I followed Nick up a hill and into the trees. The river beneath us fell out of view and the male voices disappeared. It felt like we were the only two people on earth. I knew that it was a stupid thing to think. It was so typical and corny, but it was true.
It felt like Nick was taking me to some place far away where all my troubles would wash away. Even his early lecture today and the pain in my body wasn't welcomed in this secretive place amongst the trees and large borders.
We came to a small gap between two borders that would only fit one person at a time. Nick stopped at the entrance and gestured me to go through. I didn't think about how this could possibly be a trap or some trick. Instead, I walked through and was amazed at what I saw.
A small flow of water, trickled down a small brook between another set of borders. It drippled down into a natural hot pool with moss around the rocky edge. Steam floated through the air revealing its heat and warming me as the cool air blew.
"The water's hot," Nick told me, from behind, "I'll just be over there while you get undressed."
I didn't watch him leave. Being careful of my arm, I stripped and stepped into the water.
My toes burned with the sudden heat and felt the tiny air bubbles pop against my skin. Groans escaped my lips as I allowed the water to consume me and felt myself being stunk to the bottom. I wanted so much to stay under that water. It wouldn't kill me, well not exactly. But the longer I stayed, the bigger my problems became. I couldn't pretend otherwise. I was living proof. The longer I stayed here, the more danger I became in. And it wasn't just Nick. How long would it be before Hector got bored and used me as entertainment?
And then there was my family. The more I stayed away, the more furious and frustrated they became. That's if they were worried about me at all.
And with that thought, I resurfaced. It had been a hellish day already without thinking that my family had forgotten me.
I wiped all the water off my face and pushed all my hair back. Slowly I turned around before freezing.
Nick. Crap, how long had he been standing there? Just watching me. I couldn't tell if I found it creepy or sweet. To be on the safe side, I'll say creepy.
"Are you just gonna stand there?" I asked, crossing my arms around my chest.
The water wasn't exactly see-through, but I wasn't taking chances.
"I'm makin' sure that you don't run off," he told me, though I didn't believe him.
"Please, your bein' a perv," I scoffed.
He rolled his eyes, "I thought we've gone over this. I'm not a rapist."
"Rapists and pervs are two different thin's," I corrected him.
"Oh, cause your an expert," he said, sarcastically.
"Aye, I am," I said proudly, "I'm related to three of them and I've met many lads that wouldn't turn away if they saw a woman that was undressin'."
"Well this is different," he stated.
I frowned, "How?"
"It's part of the whole, treatin' you like a child thin'. If you can't be trusted to be alone in my tent, you can't be trusted to have a bath by yourself."
I scoffed and rolled my eyes. Seriously, now he was actin' high and mighty again?
"Right, I'm bein' punished," I said, trying not to hide my frustration.
"Aye, you are," he reminded me, "You're not at Foal Coillie any more, Allie. People –."
"Okay, okay, I heard you the first time. People aren't goin' to listen to me around here, I'm the enemy," I said, not believing anything that I spoke.
"It's not just that," he explained, "As much as you might believe, you haven't experienced the cruelties of this life."
Just as I was about to argue, I realized that he was right.
Tarna had told me stories about the life as a rogue. That once or twice she had been tortured for just simply passing through. I had never been through that. Nick's back floated through my mind as I realized what he was trying to say. That even him, the son of an alpha, had been through the horrible parts of this life.
"Your back," I said quietly, though I'm sure he heard.
He nodded and dropped his gaze.
Wanting to get a little payback for treating me like a child and knowing that he couldn't run off without leaving me alone, I decided to ask again, "How did you get them?"
"No," he said, shaking his head, "I can't tell you, not yet at least."
"Well, tell me somethin'," I settled with, "What are they from?"
He looked up a little, trying to determine whether or not I was serious. I was.
So kicking a few rocks, he muttered, "Whip."
"Whip!" I yelled, shocked.
Someone whipped him? Why the hell? What could he have possibly done that he deserved to be whipped so badly? My wolf stirred as my mind started to imagine it. Imagine someone, chaining him up and whipping him so badly, that not even his supernatural healin' could fix it.
"You're jokin'," I said, before I could stop myself.
He shook his head, looking almost sad, "Oh, if only I was."
"But," I started, struggling to stay the words, "what could you have possibly done?"
He opened his mouth to tell me but just shook his head.
My mind began to wonder.
"Did you, steal somethin'?" I asked.
He shook his head.
"Threatin' someone?"
He shook his head again.
"Kill some –."
"I have no excuses for my actions and I won't explain them."
My mouth dropped, annoyed.
Nick frowned, realizing this.
"What?"
"You know more about me than I do you. I just think it's a little unfair that you won't answer my questions."
"This has nothin' to do with us. And I don't know much other than who your family is," he argued.
"Isn't that enough?" I asked.
"No," he answered, "I told you before. I don't believe that family shapes who we are."
"Okay," I started, opening up to the new idea, "prove it. Give me an example?"
"Okay," he started, thinking, "your brothers. I believe that they've influenced you in many different ways, but you choose how you use it."
I frowned, trying to make sense of it. I did...I think.
"That doesn't make sense," I told him by the end of it.
"It only doesn't make sense because your stubborn," he argued.
I scoffed, offended, though it was something I knew already.
We grew silent as we ran out of things to talk about. Our argument from earlier today hung in the air, trying to come back into conversation. I splashed around, trying to get it out of my head.
However, like reading my mind, Nick started, "I'm sorry for yellin' at you earlier. I just panicked."
I tried to ignore his apology and tried to pretend that it had no impact on me. But it did. He was apologising. I didn't know many people who would apologise and admit that they might have been in the wrong. My own apology formed in my head but I couldn't find the courage to put it into action.
Instead I said, "it must have shocked you."
I bit my lip, knowing that it had to be one of the stupidest things I've ever said.
"Aye, it was," he admitted, "how did you even know how to fight like that?"
"You mean, because I'm such a princess," I teased, before admitting, "my brothers. Bein' the youngest and the only lass out of five children, it's kind of hard not to."
He nodded, understanding. My instinct was to argue with him and tell him that he had no idea what it was like, but the look on his face told me that he knew.
Another piece of evidence that he was different to Hector.
"You never answered my question," I stated.
He frowned, "what question?"
"Why your so different to Hector?" I asked again.
His head dropped as he shrugged and kicked the rocks again.
"I don't know," he muttered, "it might have somethin' to do with our up bringin'."
I frowned, "didn't you have the same up bringin'."
He shook his head, "Hector and I..." He paused, "Hector and Jeremy are only my half brothers."
My frown deepened. I didn't know. But what confused me was, Nick was the middle children. How could both his brothers be only half brothers?
"I don't understand," I told him, causing him to explain.
"My father was married to Isla, Hector mother before he met his mate Nora, my mother. She died when I was four. He than met Kyle, Jeremy's mother but she died not long after he was born."
I swallowed. Died or killed? I couldn't help but think it. I might not have known Naithair like my brothers had, but I knew how brutal he could be.
Another part of me felt sad for the three of them. I lost my Ma when I was eighteen. Who would I have been without her?
It was something that Nick and I had in common though. We had both lost our parents.
"So, I guess that makes us both orphans," I said quietly.
He nodded, "I'm not goin' to pretend that I know what you went through when you lost your parents. But I know what it's like to loose parents. I mean, Nathair might not have been the greatest role model - or the greatest anythin' rather. But, you only get one father."
"Your better off without him," I blurted out before I could stop myself.
Once I realized what I had said, I bit my lip, trying to wish that I hadn't.
"Sorry," I said, "I forgot about my promise."
"What? Watchin' your words?" He teased, "I never thought you could do it."
"Why, don't you think a princess can change?" I asked, trying to trap him.
"Some can," he admitted, "but your not a princess."
I scoffed, offended and annoyed that he was trying to argue with me when we were going so good.
When I looked up again and met his deep brown eyes, I frowned at his grin.
He looked down, blushing before saying, "your just a...little white wolf, away from home."
Oh.