Chapter 9

Chapter 9
Nicholas
I watched, with a smile on my face, as Allie paced across the tent. She was trying to avoid coming to bed and as much as I found it insulting, I found it humorous that she was down to her last options.
I understood why she didn't want to share a bed with me. Apart from our difficult history, I mean. The truth was, we barely knew each other and we were expected to share a bed. I couldn't pretend that I wasn't uncomfortable as well. I hadn't shared my bed with many women and I didn't know if I could control myself with my mate next to me. Allie apparently felt the same.
She thought she was such a closed book. Maybe she was and my time here had just taught me how to pull one open with a sledge hammer. But I knew what was going through her mind.
Finally, she gave up and slowly made her way to the edge of the bed. She sat there for moments, with her back to me, fully aware of my watchful eyes.
I didn't mean to, really. It's just, she looked as if she was walking on eggshells. She almost looked as if she was nervous or even scared to share a bed with a man which confused me. No one that beautiful could have gone through her life without sharing a bed with someone. Even if that thought made my stomach turn.
Clearing her throat, she shifted under the covers before taking her second pillow and placing it between us.
I couldn't help but chuckle. Was she seriously buildin' a wall to make sure that we didn't cuddle in the night?
She frowned, almost annoyed that I was laughing at her, "What?"
"You really hate the idea of sharin' a bed with me, don't you?" I chuckled, making her eyes roll.
"Cocky much," she scoff, "maybe I'm not comfortable sharin' a bed with someone I just met."
"Right?" I snickered, "Like I'm the first stranger that you've slept with."
Her eyes widened, shocked and offended as her head sharply turned towards me.
"What's that supposed to mean?" she snapped.
"I mean, I'm sure I'm not the first lad you've slept with that you've barely known."
She scoffed again, offended. But by her reaction, my thoughts were proven. She had slept with strangers before and yet, I was the stranger that she needed to have a barrier between.
Shaking the thought out of my head, I said, "I am glad though."
She frowned, "Why?"
"Well it's not just our horrible history that will stop you from sleepin' next to me," I admitted, making her frown deepen.
"That makes you glad?" she asked, not believing me.
I shrugged, "What can I say? Simple thin's make me happy."
She giggled, finding it a joke, "I guess, I'm the same. Give me a bottle of whisky and I have a bigger smile on my face than a kid's on Christmas."
I chuckled at her though alcohol was the last thing I meant.
"You know, there's plenty in the world that you can be happy about without alcohol," I informed her.
She scoffed in denial, "Like what? Life has only given me pain."
I swallowed, trying not to pretend like I didn't know what she meant.
"Well, what about goin' for a swim in the lake?" I asked, watching as her features softened, "Or, goin' for a walk."
And in a very soft voice, she admitted, "They use to be."
As soon as she realized what she had said, she coughed, shaking her head before burying herself under the covers.
Feeling her pain at the memory of her old life, I shifted closer to the pillow. Flattening it with my arm, I was able to peer over and spy her long strands of blonde hair, peeking out from the doonas.
I'm so sorry, I wanted to tell her though I knew it would be falling on deaf ears, so very sorry.