TWENTY ONE

When You Were Young

Angelina

"I'm still exhausted from the other night." I whined as I lay in my bed with Rebekah sat on the end of it, filing her nails which she seemed to do quite a lot.

"You gave them all a scare." She smiled, inspecting her nails by squinting her eyes ever so slightly. 

"I didn't mean to, I just have to save you guys." I shrugged my shoulders, sitting up in my bed to watch Rebekah do her nails. 

"You mean Kol. My brother seems quite taken with you, if I must say I quite prefer you to that Elizabeth." She smiled at me which made my heart warm to her words. I quite liked Kol too but I was too shy to admit it, in fear of rejection and getting hurt.

"Kol? Taken with me? I don't know, Rebekah, that sounds a little far fetched." I played it off, not wanting the conversation to carry on from there. Rebekah stopped filing her nails before looking at me as if to say 'Are you an idiot? Kol adores you.' 

"Angie, love. I'll tell you this once and once only. Kol worships the ground you walk on, this only ever happens once in a millennium. Don't hold back." She advised before getting up off the bed dusting herself down, I raised an eyebrow to ask what she was doing.

"I've said my part, Angelina. Now you just need to think about it." Was all she said before she walked out the room leaving me completely dumbfounded. Of course I liked Kol, he was kind to me. We have had our ups and downs, our differences but I've always been willing to look past that because I knew he wasn't what everyone made him out to be. In truth he was the boy who just had his heart broke for a millennium and just wanted someone to notice him. 

Neglected by his family and ditched by the love of his life, he just needed someone to appreciate him and I did. I appreciated Kol a lot, more than his family ever did. Kol was immortal and I was not, and if were to ever become immortal, I would never bear children or be able to have a happy marriage. I'd never grow old and I'd lose my Saffron qualities. Saffron Angels are the purest creatures of this Earth and a vampire is the complete opposite to that. I was attached to Kol, like a leech.

 I could never leave his side from my conscience picking him for me to protect, to be his guardian angel. I was stuck with Kol Mikaelson, not that I minded but it was a sacrifice I was willing to make. I could never return home to Mystic Falls without him, and he would never leave his family and his family would never leave New Orleans. I would have to part with Jacob, Bonnie, Stefan, Tyler, Matt, Alaric and Damon

Damon would never forgive himself, that he had lost me to the Mikaelson's. He would blame himself that I could not return home, Jacob would begin to resent him, he would hate himself more. I couldn't not return home but I couldn't leave Kol either, willingly or not.

"A penny for your thoughts?" Kol said whilst standing in the door way with his knuckles lightly knocking on the door to signal his presence. I smiled slightly, not ready to tell him what I thought of him yet. Regardless of what Rebekah had said about what Kol thought of me, I couldn't quite believe the words what piled out of her mouth. Why would Kol Mikaelson the original vampire have an affection for an eighteen year old girl like me?

"My thoughts aren't even worth a penny, Kol." I lazily smiled at him before sitting up in my bed, stretching my arms out yawning slightly.

"Angel, darling. You're still exhausted, get some sleep." He advised, stepping inside of the room closing the door behind quietly. 

"I suppose I am quite tired. Stay with me?" I sleepily replied at which Kol smiled at. Kol rarely ever smiled, mostly he just smirked but when he smiled the butterflies erupted in my stomach and my heart warmed.