57 | The Silence

The day after Santa Claus took a rain check - I was still waiting for my magic sock - was by far the worst day of the year.

Maybe even the worst day of my seventeen years of existence.

Sure, it had started out alright, with a lovely breakfast in Franny's house and then opening all the presents and everything.

And okay, maybe I had a fight with my mom, but that was to be expected. It had to happen sooner or later.

But never in a million years would I have thought I would be in a hospital, waiting in front of the ICU with blotchy eyes all worried like hell was about to break loose.

At least for me.

Gosh see, that's why I hated hospitals so much.

Don't even ask me how I could joke at a time like this.

Anyways, it all started when Eli and I were in my room playing cards, waiting for Dani and Kevin to come over.

That's when Eli got a phone call and his eyes went all wide like he had just seen a ghost, or heard from one, I really don't know, and he jumped off the bed and covered his mouth.

Now we all knew Eli tended to over-react to everything, so I really didn't pay attention when he said, "OH MY GOD! WHAT?!"

Zayn Malik probably released another music video or something.

When he put the phone down, I rolled over and casually said, "What's up?" I fiddled with the shell on my neck. I had made it into a necklace so I wouldn't lose it. That thing was really important to me.

Eli was already putting on his shoes. "It's Dani." He said softly. "He's in the hospital."

And that's when my heart started beating really fast like a horse in a race, because only I knew what he was going through, and how dangerous it really was for him.

"What?!" I screamed, instantly getting up.

"Kevin found him in his apartment... blood everywhere. Brought him to Richmond."

The both of us dashed down the stairs and ran towards Eli's car. Eli didn't even bother with the seatbelt, reversing the car in a hurry and probably breaking the speed limit twice.

"Daniel...Price..." he heaved when we reached the reception.

My nails were digging into my skin as the receptionist searched through the computer. When I unclenched my hand, I barely acknowledged the little scarlet drops on my palm.

"He's in the ICU." She frowned. "The waiting room is right next to it, on the left wing. Ground floor."

Eli took my hand and paced the length of the ground floor to the left wing. Sure enough, two double doors stood in the end, with a sign on top that said ICU. The little red light was on.

In the waiting area, the first person I saw was Amelia, Dani's mom. A nurse stood next to her, trying to get her to calm down. Kevin was on the other side of the room.

Tears poured down her face as she engulfed me in a hug. "It's all my fault." She sobbed.

I had that horrible weight in my throat that was permitting me from breathing properly. I felt tears pool my own eyes.

"It's not." I said. "You hadn't known."

"But I shouldn't have-"

"Ms. Price." The nurse cut in. "Please, calm down. It's not good for your health."

Amelia nodded weakly and sat down in one of the chairs. She covered her face with her hands and began sobbing again.

I sat down across her, and Eli put an arm around me.

"It's going to be okay." He said.

As much as I wanted to believe him, I knew Dani's condition. Why hadn't I tried harder, to get him to take his medicine, or stop smoking?

If anyone should take the blame, it should be me.

A couple of nurses went into the ICU followed by two doctors, just as one came out.

"Dr. Sol," Said Amelia. She suddenly got up. "Is Dani alright?"

The doctor pursed his lips. "We're prepping him for surgery." He said. He pulled Amelia aside, and said something to her in private. I caught the words tumor and hopefully Benign and emergency.

So that's how we ended up spending the rest of the night in the hospital. The surgery took three hours. Three painfully excruciating hours of not knowing whether Dani would be alright or not.

He had to be. I mean, there was a bigger chance that this surgery would be successful, right? The doctors were trying.

"I'm gonna go get you dinner, okay?" Eli said softly. Claire had arrived an hour ago, and so had Liam.

The nurse had made Dani's mom go back to her room, in fear of her condition worsening. She also gave her a couple of sleeping pills.

I barely acknowledged him. I wanted to be alone, shut in a room somewhere. Dani couldn't die. Not like this.

"Guys, he's going to wake up." Said Liam. "He's going to wake up, and be the asshole he's always been, and nothing's going to change."

"Liam's right." Said Kevin. He looked at me with sad eyes. "He'll be fine, Cia."

Eli got up, and I rested my head on Claire's shoulder. I was beyond tired but I knew sleep would never come.

That's when the doctors wheeled him out. I got up and rushed towards the gurney, but stopped dead in my tracks when I saw him.

The sight of him lying there, looking like he was never going to wake up killed me from the inside. Bandages covered the entire length of his head, and his white overalls were soaked in blood. Four tubes ran through his arm, and an oxygen mask was placed on his mouth and nose.

I watched as they wheeled him away, fresh tears rolling down my face.

I hardly made another sound.

Everything went silent.