20. I Love...

Lucas's POV

"Maya, there's something I need to tell you.." I said looking at my blonde beauty.

"That you finally accepted that you're such a huckleberry?" She answered with a big smirk on her face. "It's about time." She threw her head back in laughter.

"Maya I'm being serious, the least you could do just for a minute is not troll me and listen." I looked at her with a half smile.

"Oh my god, you're not breaking up with me are you?" Her voice cracked and her facial expression just went stone cold sad.

"No, no, not ever. Maya do you really think I would be sitting here cuddling with you if I was about to break up with you? Do I really seem to be that type of guy?" I replied and took her hand and intertwined her fingers with mine.

"No, of course not. I wouldn't be with you if that were the case. I just worry sometimes." She responded as she looked down at our connected hands and softly smiled.

"About what?" I replied with a little concern.

"I mean, don't take this the wrong way, but how do I know a new girl isn't going to come to the school and take you from me? I literally saw how easy it was for you to leave Riley, how do I know that you won't do the same thing to me?" She said as she looked away from me, I could tell she was trying not to cry.

"Hey." I said taking my free hand under her chin and tilting her head up to look at me. "I wouldn't do that to you Maya. The first time I saw you sitting in that office, you honestly took my breath away, I only had eyes for Riley until I met you. Riley and I were together for 3 years and nothing that happened with her comes close to how I feel about you. I knew from the day I met you that there was something beautifully unique about you. I wasn't going to act on my feelings, but the more time I spent with you, the more I fell for you. Maya I could do no better then you, do you understand?" I continued saying as I put my hand on her cheek as I slowly leaned in and softly placed a kiss on her lips.

"God, you're such a sap huckleberry, but a cute one." She replied with a smile.

"Yeah that's me a big sap for Maya Hart. I do however need you to be on board with what I'm going to say next, you don't have to say anything, I just want you to know." I said to her with sudden nerves taking over my body.

"Just say it Huckleberry, I'm not a mind reader." She responded looking at me. "When are you ever at a loss for words?" She then asked and I could feel my palms starting to get sweaty.

"For something like this, it's not easy to say because, well, I've never said it before, but, Maya, I- I love you." I finally said it and I'm kinda terrified to look at her, but I do anyways.

"...I love.. Tacos.." She replied and then realized what she just said. "I can't believe I just said that.." She put her head in her hands.

"Maya, don't get upset with yourself, am I the first person to say it besides your mom? And actually mean it?" I cradled her in my arms. She lifted her head up and looked at me.,

"Yeah, but I wasn't completely off track, I do love tacos, but, you Lucas Friar are my taco." The response of her saying this made me smile, I would have been so mad if any other girl responded this way, but I think that was her way of telling me she loves me too.

"So what does that mean?" I asked her.

"It means I love you, too, Lucas. I think I've always known that." She answered and smiled at me. I leaned forward and pecked her on the lips.

"I have something for you.. I wanted to wait for Valentine's Day to give it to you, but I honestly couldn't wait any longer to give it to you." I said as I grabbed my coat to get it out of my pocket.

"What is it?" She said with so much happiness behind her voice, it's the first time I've heard her truly this happy.

"This." I replied as I got out a small black box. "I know things aren't always perfect, and that's to be expected, but I want to walk through your battles with you, and always be here to comfort you, I know we don't know what the future may bring to us after we graduate this year, but what I do know now is, I've never been so in love with someone, which is why I got you this promise ring." I said while opening the box and I could tell she was speechless.

"Do you even know if you got my size right?" She asked sarcastically.

"Yes, Maya, since I talked to your mother about it before I went and bought it." I confirmed.

"Well, aren't you a sneaky Ranger Rick." She said as I handed her the box while she examined the ring.

"It's beautiful Huckleberry, you put so much thought and money into this. I feel bad I can't do something extravagant in return." She said as she took the ring out of the box and slipped it on her finger admiring it.

"It's okay and I don't want you too, this is something I wanted to do to show you how I feel about you." I replied and her emotions were finally starting to set in.

"No one has ever cared about me enough to do something like this, it's just so thoughtful. When we first moved here, my mom had talked to your parents the day we moved it and she came and told me they had a son my age and that I should hang out with you and I absolutely didn't want to, but then I met you and ever since then I've done nothing more, but fall even more in love with you and not to mention how amazing you are with my brother and sister who both love you too." She responded with a smile completely memorized with the ring.

"I'll always love you Maya, nothing will ever change that."  I said as I leaned forward and gave her a deep passionate kiss.