8. Change

Maya's POV

It's true what they say, when you bottle things up, you'll eventually erupt later.

It feels like Lucas and I have been talking for hours about everything. I like Lucas, I just need to figure myself out after the past 24 hours. I mean my dad, telling him about Miles and God that kiss. That's more then I can handle in one day, what if this ruins mine and Lucas's friendship. I mean he's my best friend, I don't want to lose him, he means the world to me.

"Hey Lucas.." I put my pencil down that I was drawing with to talk to him.

"Yeah?" He was sitting on the foot of my bed Indian style staring at me.

"Whatever happens, please don't ever leave my life completely." I could feel tears starting to build up again, I forgot what emotional me is like, ugh, it's sickening.

"I would never leave your life Maya, you're too important." Can he really handle being with me though?

"I think we should give it time before we give ourselves a label." I started tapping my finger on my hand because I was nervous for this conversation, normally I'm not the one to press on relationships, but we have to talk about this and what happened tonight.

"What do you mean?"

"You and Riley literally broke up two seconds ago, that wouldn't be right. These feelings your having could also very well be rebound feelings. I like you Lucas, and I don't want to get heart broken again. I need you to be absolutely sure about me because I get it if you're not because let's face it, I'm damaged. That's a lot for a person to take on and I really want you to think about this."  It's times like this is when I wish I was actually able to understand his facial expressions when it's a serious talk because it's frustrating not knowing.

"Maya I've never been more sure about you, you're not damaged. You might have just lost your way for awhile considering the tragedy that happened, your response to what happened was normal. If you want to wait for the boyfriend/girlfriend part, that's fine." I never thought someone could care for me the way Lucas does.

"It's not like I want this to stop. Because I don't. Out of respect for Riley and for you to think about this, I think that label can wait and in the meantime we can actually get to know each other more and if all goes well and we feel how we do now then we can discuss a relationship, how's that sound?" I don't think I'm really being unreasonable here, I mean the guy just got out of a relationship.

"Whatever you want Maya, I just want you to be happy." He smiled at me.

"I am now." I said in a soft tone.

"So, Maya, are their rules with this whole situation?" What could he possibly mean by that?

"What are you talking about Huckleberry?" I arched my eyebrow.

"I'm talking about this." He slide up next to me on my bed. He cupped his hand under my chin and he leaned forward and lightly kissed me, he pulled away slightly and smiled "that, is that allowed?"

"I said I didn't want this to stop didn't I?" I have that happy feeling on me again like I did back when he almost kissed me last month.

"I have a compromise then." He intertwined our fingers.

"That would be?"

"Okay, if we wait like you want then I also want us to be exclusive between us, like no dating other people, we're just together without any labels, this isn't even about labels anymore Maya, this is about you and me. We're Lucas and Maya. What's going on between us is no ones concern." He squeezed my hand a little tighter.

"I can work with this idea huckleberry." I smiled at him.

"Good because there isn't seconds that go by where I don't think about how to get you to kiss me." I felt my face go completely hot.

I hate change. I always have, but this time somethings different and I feel different.