x

"Troye, wake up!" Connor whispered, kneeling on the bed and harshly shaking his shoulders.

Troye grunted and attempted to roll over onto his side. "What do you want, Connor?" He grumbled.

"Troye, you need to wake up," Connor insisted. "Don't you remember what day it is?"

"Connor, not now. I'm sleeping."

"But you need to be up, it's Bertie's first ever birthday!" Connor told him. Troye's eyes snapped open and he hastily sat up in bed to be met with Connor grinning at him.

"Why didn't you say before?" He exclaimed. "I would've got up sooner!"

"Come on, we need to make breakfast and decorate for Bertie before he wakes up." Connor said.

Troye nodded and eased himself out of bed, standing by the wall and stretching his arms up into the air. He turned around and smirked at Connor, who was staring at him with wide eyes and his mouth slightly open.

"Connor, stop looking at me like that. We can't do anything, it's Bertie's special day." His voice was light and teasing, making Connor giggle.

"I'm going to get Bertie up, and you can start making pancakes for his breakfast." Connor told Troye and then practically ran out of the room, leaving no space for Troye to negotiate.

He opened the door into Bertie's room and cooed at the little sleeping figure in the cot. He didn't bother treading quietly on his way across the room to open the curtains, he wanted Bertie up, dressed and happy by the time Troye had breakfast cooked and on the table.

As he drew back the farm animal patterned curtains and light flooded into the room, bouncing off the soft green walls, Bertie started making gurgling sounds. Connor turned around to see him wobblyingly standing in the cot, grasping onto the bar with one tiny hand while his teddy bear was tucked under the other arm.

"Good morning baby." Connor said gently, walking towards the cot.

"Daddy!" Bertie exclaimed in return as Connor picked him up and rested the baby on his hip.

"Yep, I'm Daddy, and your other daddy Troye is in the kitchen making breakfast." Connor told him.

"Beck-ust! Bertie shrieked happily.

"Yeah, breakfast," Connor repeated. "I'm going to go get you changed, choose you a cute little outfit and make sure you're all happy and Dada's gonna make us all pancakes 'cause today is a very special day." He explained.

"Pan-aches!" Bertie recognised his favourite food and smiled widely.

"Yeah, pancakes cause today's your first ever birthday!"

"Bur-day!"

Connor smiled at his baby as he squealed and repeated words, and gently kissed his fluffy-hair covered forehead. He continued telling Bertie the plans for the day as he changed his nappy and dressed him in a white and blue striped t shirt and dark grey dungarees.

Connor was lying down on Bertie's bedroom floor with the tiny child waddling in front of his tummy when Troye walked in and Bertie started shrieking in happiness again.

"Dada!" He called, waving his arms in the air and accidentally throwing his building block behind him.

"Good morning birthday boy," Troye smiled and approached to pick him up. "Are you ready for your birthday pancakes?"

"Pan-aches!"

Troye waited for Connor to get up and then they walked towards the kitchen. After Troye put Bertie in the floor to take hurried steps away from his parents, he looked at Connor and smiled.

"Honestly, I still can't believe that we have a year old baby, or that we even have a baby." He said. Connor nodded in agreement.

"Same. Sometimes it's just so hard to think that our baby is ours and that it's real. It's so hard to believe that he's real."

"Well he is, and he's growing up so fast.

Connor shrugged. "I don't care. To me he's always gonna be my little bump."

the end