Chapter 4: Kaio's Patient

Start from the beginning

His brows furrowed, and he seemed genuinely intrigued. “Why is that? Just yesterday, you would have killed to escape…in fact you did kill and tried to escape after the fact.”

He might have forgiven me but something told me he’d take every opportunity to remind me of my misdeed.

“I realized there’s no point. If I go back I’ll be arrested.” I offered.

“So you have decided to take the coward’s way out then. I see.”

I clenched my teeth and said nothing. If he was trying to get a rise out of me I wasn’t about to give him the satisfaction.

“Where’s Rien?” I asked, quickly changing the subject.

He pointed to the main entrance and not a second later the door was being pushed open and Rien entered, decked out in his usual regal attire and stately disposition. I ignored the sudden spike in my pulse rate and schooled my expression to one of indifference as another person entered the room behind him.

This guy was dressed similarly, but didn’t quite carry off that quality that came natural to Rien. He was just as tall, his pale skin almost translucent skin, long blond hair and beady blue eyes. Kaio jumped up quickly to go see to their robes and I watched as the new guy surveyed the room, taking in everything at a glance, his mouth turned down in a frown and if it was even possible the frown deepened when his eyes skated over my sweaty frame. I kept my eyes locked with his, daring him to say something. He didn’t.

 Instead he turned away from me completely, and I knew that was a dismissal if I’d ever experienced one.

“I don’t understand your fascination with human amenities.” The man said softly; his voice was smooth like the touch of silk and his speech spoke of one highly educated.

“It is what my mate is familiar with. I want him to feel comfortable.” Rien replied and for the first time since he entered, he looked at me, a small smile touching his features. I didn’t return it.

The two came to sit in the couch across from me, while Kaio stood close by...waiting to be given an order I guessed.

Bloody slave.

“What name have you given him?” Blondie asked, his gaze travelling over me once again. I suddenly felt like a fly under a microscope and I fought the urge to shift under his gaze.

“The name’s Tony I’m not some kinda pet waiting for my master to give me a name.” I said then, not sure what else to add, but  for some reason needing to show him that I wasn’t just a useless slab of meat.

Blondie’s eyes widened and he looked at Rien who regarded me with some amusement. “You allow him to speak freely?”

“I do.” Rien answered simply and this only seemed to shock Blondie even more. I would have rolled my eyes if it was in my nature to do it.

“You have been absent from the coven too long brother…you have forgotten our customs. A mate should know his place.”

 This time I did roll my eyes and I caught Kaio trying to suppress a grin.

“I have not been away so long that I have forgotten our ways, however, he is my mate and I will do with him as I see fit.

I snorted and blondie’s head snapped my way, “By all means, continue to talk about me as if I’m not even here.” I mocked and pushed up from my place on the floor. I’d made it almost half way across the room before he spoke again.

“He needs training.”

“Fuck you too Blondie.” I said under my breath. If they heard I had no way of knowing as I exited the room without a backward glance.