Episode 1.4: What is the Matrix?

Loki had no idea why she jumped out the window.  He had assumed that she meant to throw a chair or something to break the window and then they would climb out and down the building.

But this plan was just as good.

Rash, thoughtless, dangerous, but good, he thought as he followed her lead.

Falling wasn’t so bad.  It was the sudden stop at the end that worried her.  London knew that because the Matrix was a simulated reality, she could bend and break the laws of physics easier than she could break a candy cane.

She imagined that her speeding descent slowed enough that she would land safely on the pavement.

Amazingly, both she and Loki landed on the sidewalk and were able to (literally) walk away from that situation (and building and pieces of broken glass) with relative ease before they broke into a run.

 -

The Merovingian looked out the window and witnessed what happened to Loki and London as they fell.  He turned angrily to the Twins and ordered, “Well?  After them!”

The Twins became incorporeal and descended through the floor.

 -

Paris tapped her foot impatiently.  “Have you finished playing yet?” she asked irritably.

The Director was typing, but he had an all-too eager smile on his face.  “Nope,” he replied.

“Will you at least tell me what you’re doing?” she asked.

“You’ll see,” he replied as he continued typing.

Paris rolled her eyes and paced the floor.

 -

Loki closely followed London as she ran into an underground garage, where she led him to the middle of the garage, where she ducked behind a silver car and threw the globe containing her voice on the ground.  When it shattered, the silver mist floated to her mouth, where it forced itself down her throat.  She gagged a little, and then she coughed, hacked, and fell to the ground, lightly convulsing.

London!” Loki harshly whispered as he gently shook her.

Then she stopped moving.

“London!” he exclaimed, shaking her more fiercely.

Her eyes shot open and she sat up suddenly as she shouted, “I’M AWAKE!!”  She looked around and whispered, “Are they here?”

Loki peeped over the roof of the car and slid his gaze left and right, satisfied that the Twins were not there.  He was just about to tell her what he saw when she jumped up and dragged him to hide behind another car.  As confused as he was, she added to his confusion by handing him a gun.  “Where did you get that?” he whispered.

She pressed her index finger to her lips and then pointed in the opposite direction that he had looked in.

The Twins were there.  Walking through the parking garage, as if hunting down people was an everyday job for them.

Unexpectedly, she bolted up, gun in hand, and ran across the line of cars, shooting at the Twins.

“LONDON!” Loki shouted in surprise and horror and she continued to run straight for the garage walls.

She ran straight towards the wall, stepped onto the wall, like she was going to flip, but then she continued running up the wall, as if gravity had somehow shifted for her.

 -

“Seriously, what are you doing?” Paris demanded.

The Director huffed and continued typing.

 -

As the Twins turned semi-invisible and London ran along the ceiling, Loki suddenly felt something in his pocket.  He pulled it out and examined it.

It was a key on a chain with a car-finding fob.

He pressed one of the buttons and a sleek, black car nearby beeped and its headlights flashed.  He glanced at the Twins, who were avoiding London’s fire; he opened the passenger door of the car and got in.

London saw what Loki had done and took his cue.  She dropped to the ground and ran to the car where she got in the driver’s side.  She took the keys from Loki, shoved them in the ignition, and started the car.

The Twins were so close they could almost touch the car.

London threw the car in reverse and pressed down on the gas.  The tires squealed and they shot backwards.

 -

“Will you tell me NOW?!” Paris asked.

The Director sighed forcefully and replied, “I was helping Loki and London escape the Twins.”

“Oh, good,” Paris breathed as she sunk into a chair and he continued his typing.

 -

VROOM!

The black car sped out of the garage, closely followed by a black Chevy Avalanche that the Twins were driving.

“May I inquire as to your strategy?” Loki asked London, who was driving madly through the streets.

“Well, Step 1:  Get out of the garage,” London answered.

Loki glanced at her white knuckles and asked, “All right, we perfectly executed that step.  Step 2?”

“Step 2:  Evade the Twins.”

“I see.  And Step 3?”

“I’ll tell you when I think of one,” London answered as she sharply spun around a corner.