Chapter Sixteen

It had taken them almost an hour to finish shopping, as every few minutes Alexa found herself kissing Hunter passionately, and Hunter kept pushing Alexa up against the shelves and running his hands over her body. By the time they got home, it was almost too late for her to even consider cooking, but they were all incredibly hungry, and Alexa had promised her Alpha she would cook them dinner. So whilst she was in the kitchen, Hunter and Derek were sat in the living room, trying to have the first normal conversation in almost twelve years.

"Hunter... this is... I'm sorry this is so strange..." Derek started, his voice shaking slightly with the tears that threatened to spill. "I feel... almost... like I don't really know you anymore... I'm so sorry... I completely failed as a father..."

Hunter could feel his heart constricting, he knew from an Alpha point of view how hard it would be to admit he was in the wrong, but for his father to do it... someone he always thought of as the strongest wolf he ever knew... was utterly impossible.

"Dad..." he whispered, his voice breaking. "In no way did you fail as a father, or a husband..." Everything Hunter was saying was practically word vomit from now on, he was so desperate to tell his father all that he'd thought from the past twelve years that he could sense Ivan forcing to do exactly that. "Dad, I've been hiding in that attic for twelve years... I hid away after... after mum died... I couldn't do anything else..."

"I completely understand why you did it... I wasn't there when you needed me..." Derek tried to explain, when Hunter growled loudly, silencing the room completely.

"Alpha... Derek... what Hunter can't explain to you... is that he in no way blames you for what happens," Ivan explained. His voice was deep and snarling, the annoyance at both his human side and Alpha/father was palpable. "I have tried on several occasions to get Hunter to talk seriously to you about his feelings surrounding his mother's death. Unfortunately, as you might be aware, confrontation is not Hunter's strong suit, and he was severely traumatized by the event."

Derek sighed, not entirely happy with having to talk to Ivan again rather than his son, "I understand Ivan, and I do appreciate all that you've done in protecting him." His Alpha tone was strong and firm, he was letting his son's wolf, rather than his son, know exactly how he felt about the situation.

"With all due respect Derek, the only reason I was more than willing to let Hunter out of the attic was..."

A loud crash interrupted Hunter/Ivan's speech, and both him and Derek ran towards the kitchen, Hunter miles ahead of his father.

Alexa was stood at the counter, holding her hand firmly against her chest, and her face scrunched up tightly in pain. Quiet whimpers were pushing their way out of her mouth, and Hunter could see the tears forming in the corners of her eyes.

"Alexa!" he shouted, running towards her and holding his hands gently to her cheeks. "What's wrong my love?"

"Hun... Ivan...?" she asked, not confident  that it was Hunter she was talking to. "I'm okay... don't worry about me..."

The scent of blood filled the air heavily, and Hunter almost growled in anger. His gaze dropped to her hand, and his eyes widened when he saw the blood staining her top. His eyes turned black, and he calmly pulled her hand away from her clutches, and he was unable to contain the growl vicious snarl that escaped him. There was a deep gash running the length of her palm, a clean cut, something that would heal quickly given the time, but would bleed like hell till it did.

He caught sight of a large knife on the counter beside them, and some vegetables on the chopping board, there was a small puddle of blood underneath where the knife was resting, and Hunter could feel his heart clench in fear.