Chapter Two

Alexa's feet creaked against the floorboards of the wooden entrance way, being the Alpha Derek had a much larger house than the rest of the pack, but without Mary, his mate, it had fallen into a state of disrepair, another reason why Alexa was so happy to help. Mary had been a wonderful Luna, and she was happy to do whatever it took to honour her memory. The house had 2 floors, not including the special mezzanine floor that housed the massive attic where Hunter resided. As she made her way up the stairs, her eyes grazed over the bare walls, where family photos should have been. She felt her heart break a little, like it did everytime she came here, thinking of the broken family who lived here. Without his mate Alpha Derek felt empty and lonely, but without his mother Hunter felt lost, and alone.

          As she made her way up the stairs to the second floor, she spotted the small staircase that led to the mezzanine floor, and the lone door that led to the attic. It was heavy and wooden, no lock on the outside, but she knew there was definitely a dead bolt on the other side. No lock could keep a werewolf at bay, but when a six year old Hunter started living in the attic, it was the only thing that made him feel safe.

         She felt her heart beat faster the closer she got to the door, as it always did when she was here. Not from fear, but from nervousness and anticipation. She would never tell Hunter, or anyone else for that matter, but throughout their small, rarely had conversations, she had begun to fall for him. In a way, she expected that she always did, but now she couldn't imagine not talking to him. These meetings had become a huge treat for her, and she never wanted to let that go.

       Alexa took a deep breathe, and knocked three times on the door, the sound reverberating around the old house. Hunter only willingly talked to Alexa, and the three knock hello was there signature. Again, although Hunter could smell her and knew she was approaching the house, it was something he wanted her to do since they were kids, before his wolf set in and he gained his powers. Female wolves didn't shift into wolves, but they still had the heightened senses and super strength in order to protect themselves effectively, and there was still that gut instinct that helped them out whenever they needed it, which the elders explained was their dormant wolf trying to help.

          Alexa smiled brightly when she heard footsteps approaching the door from the other side, and proceeded to sit down in front of it, her hands which held the brownie folded in her lap.

         "Good morning Hunter!" she said brightly.

       "Good morning Alexa..." she heard a timid voice murmur behind the door. Alexa felt extreme gratitude for her heightened sense of hearing.

         "How did you sleep last night?"

         "Okay... and you?"

        "Not too bad I guess, bed practically tried to kill me this morning though, so that put a negative spin on it..." Alexa growled angrily, her frustration for her evil bed seeping through again. But then she remembered who she was talking to, and looked down at the brownie in her hands, a big smile on her face. "I brought something for you!"

      "Oh...?" Hunter whispered, his voice sounding genuinely surprised. The idea that someone brought him presents still confused him, and that in turn seriously upset Alexa.

      "Of course, well... as you know it's the pack's annual bbq tomorrow, and I've made loads of cakes and meat dishes for it, and I thought that before Dominic stole all of them..." Alexa didn't have chance to finish, as Hunter let out a small growl, before going completely quiet. She kept forgetting that Dominic wasn't Hunter's favourite person, for whatever reason, so she stopped mentioning him. "Sorry... I brought you a brownie, one of the inside pieces, and one of the biggest... if you're interested?"