Chapter 29: The Ball (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

"Lets all welcome, Mr. and Mrs. Lee and their son." The host said. A man and his wife entered and bowed in front of the clapping guest. They stood at the far left edge of the table.

"Next up, Mr. and Mrs. Kim. Unfortunately their son can't make it tonight." They stood at the right side of the table countering the Lee's.

"And last but not the least, lets all welcome Mr. Kwon and his son." The biggest round of applause erupted in the whole place as the two entered. The old Kwon didn't bother bowing unlike his son. They stood in the middle of the table beside both the Kim's and Lee's.
"Everyone, the Big Three!" The host announce as all again gave them a around of applause.

We finally took our seats after welcoming the special guest of the night. I really can't guess who they are because of the mask they are wearing. But if i had known better, i think the two sons were quite familiar to me.

"Here's your drink!" I got startled when a glass of wine was brought in front of my face.

"Jaejoong! Where the hell have you been?" I snarled at him.

"I just got us a drink. What did i miss?"

"Everything! Aisht!" I took the glass from him and returned my gaze in front when the host started talking again.

"To make our program more exciting, we made our program extra special tonight. The reason why the theme is masquerade ball is that you are not allowed to take your mask off." Everyone looked at each other when they heard the host's announcement. "You may interact with each other, dance if you want to, but no revealing of names and of course, the mask must stay on until the end of the program." I heard disagreements and laughter from the other guest. "The person who can hide his or her identity will win 100 million won plus a brand new car waiting outside the venue, courtesy of our sponsors. Isn't that exciting?" The host excitedly announced as a round of applause was again heard from the audience. "Before the night ends, we will be accepting candidates who wants to join and confident enough that no one recognize him or her. So, before i took so much of the time, let's all party!!!" The host finally said as he went down the podium and shook hands with the sponsors.

"Wow, that was such a nice prize isn't it?" Jaejoong asked me as he took a sip on his glass.

"Yeah, the winner must be very lucky to have that." I commented.

"Why don't you join? You have the highest chance to win, no one actually knows you here except me." He suggested.

"I'm not here for that, i have an assignment remember?" I told him.

"I know, but you can still do that, just don't reveal your identity ok? Let me do the talking." He said, looking decided to help me.

"Why are you so determined to help me?" I asked as i stared at him intently.

"Because your my friend, that's what friends do. Help each other." He said and gave me his famous wink.

"Argg. Whatever Jae, just don't get me in trouble, got that?" I warned him as i took the last sip of my wine.

The night gets deeper and i got the chance to talk to some of the well known businessmen in the country. Jae really did helpedrrer me get the information i need for my article. Some introduced themselves, not really caring about the prize of tonights theme game. I almost got everything i need to complete our next months issue, only one more interview and its all done.

I am now sitting on our table sipping another glass of wine while watching the guests dance in slow music when a man suddenly approached me.

"May i have this dance?" I saw him reached for my hand.

"Ahh, sorry, i'm just waiting for my friend, and i don't know how to dance." I said shaking my hand as i smiled at him politely.

"Its ok, we'll be back as soon as he returns. I promise." He said, extending his hand to me again.

"Go on miss, dance with the boy. i'l tell your friend you'll be back." An old lady pushed me a little and that made me blush.

"Fine, just don't complain if i step on your feet ok? You've been warned." I told the guy and smiled back to the old lady sitting behind me.

The man pulled me in the middle of the dance floor and instantly held my arm around his neck as he placed his hand on my waist. We started slow dancing and swayed with the music. He searched my eyes and i did the same to him. Talk about awkwardness.

"You're new here?" He asked still looking at me.

"Uhm yes." I answered and decided to look the other way.

"From what company?" He asked again.

"Actually, i was just sent here for work purposes." I said. "Wait, you're the son of Mr. Kwon right?"

"Yes."

"Oh." I was shocked, i didn't recognize him at once. "You know, you look like someone i know."

"Really? Who?" He asked as he looked at me intently.

"A friend." I simply answered.

"Oh. Is this friend of yours handsome?" He asked and i didn't miss the smirk plastered on his face. Its so familiar.

"Kind of." I said.

"Kind of? So you like him?"

"Well, he's more likable if he's not such a jerk." I remarked.

"I'm not a jerk."

"What?" I asked.

"I mean, he's not a jerk. Maybe he doesn't know how to act in front of you." He explained as he interchanged his gaze to anywhere but me.

"Really?" If i am not mistaken, he's name is also Jiyong, if he is the same person as the jerk, i'm going to hurl. "How did you know? Have you met him?" I asked again.

"Ah no. Not yet. But i have a feeling he's kind of nice." He denied. Tsk. He is so obvious. Let's see if he can still deny.

"Yeah, its just that, he sometimes act so weird, maybe he's autistic or something." I told him.

"I told you I'm not autistic!" He almost shouted at me. Gotcha!

"You stupid jerk! Its you!" I muttered. This guy, really!