Chapter 33: The Hardship of the Ocean

Michael awoke to a rainy day.

Perfect, he thought, as the rain poured down onto his face. Just perfect.

The rain was making it hard to see. April and John woke up moaning.

"Why!" shouted John to the sky. "Why today?"

The rain was creating ferocious winds, which was making it incredibly hard to row. The wind created monstrous waves which towered above their small raft, splashing down on top of them.

Michael grunted as he heaved his oar through the water. John was trying as hard as he could to keep a steady pace with his oar.

April didn't know how to use an oar.

As they rowed, Michael's hopes got more and more deflated. They had been rowing for hours upon hours, and they hadn't found any source of land at all yet. John clearly felt the same way, his face showing more and more frustration as he rowed along.

April was the most annoyed of all of them though. She was starving. Michael, having lived in he wild with Dr. Macker for a day and night was used to this kind of starvation.

It was a tough situation for all of them. Soon, the rain turned into hail. The ice plonked onto their heads.

It was so painful that they had to stop rowing for a while to put their hands over their heads to block the hail seriously injuring them. After that, they got back to rowing.

The torrential rain kept coming though, and the waves only got bigger as they travelled.

Soon, the second night was upon them, and they fell to sleep straight away. No talking, no thinking, just sleep.

By the next day, the starvation and thrust was beginning to overwhelm the three. They couldn't handle this any longer. Soon, Michael and John stopped rowing altogether, and just let the wind carry them on their journey.

A couple of times the boat nearly flipped, causing Michael and April to leap off the boat and stabilise it as best they could.

Michael even tried eating a fish straight form the ocean, but realised he'd probably get salmonella if he did so. All of a sudden, when Michael was scavenging the ocean floor for food, he felt land. He looked up at the scenery and his jaw dropped.

A tropical island awaited them. Michael screamed with joy.