Chapter 15: As Quiet as A Mouse

April let the phone ring five times before disallowing her call. Then, she called Dr. Macker again and again until she realised he wasn't going to answer.

April was lost. She was still at home (Or whatever was left of the place) but she was lost. She had no family and no idea what to do.

Where do I go? thought April.

She realised she had two options. Find Michael and Dr. Macker or stay at home, lost and with no family support.

April thought about this. But every time she tried to relax, all she could think about was Michael dead and Jack being shot by some policemen.

Finally, April had made her decision. She got up and marched towards the door, a plan formulating in her mind as she walked.

It was clear to April what she had to do. She would grab her bike and ride out towards the shopping mall, where Jack had said he was going. If he wasn't there, she would go find this Gigantogon thing. On her way she would stop at the library and research about the odd creature.

When April pulled her bike up at the shopping centre, she found it in ruins. IT was a collapse of major proportions. The windows were shattered and the roof torn down. There were tanks everywhere with the label: S.W.A.T on them.

Well, I think I found him, thought April. But the police rope held her back at least five hundred metres from where she wanted to be.

April walked around the police rope, checking its perimeter.

I have to go into the back entrance, thought April.

That was the only way she could make it in undetected. So April mad her way towards the back of the shopping mall, hiding behind the crowd of people in front. She spotted a door that was labelled: Staff room.

April quietly snuck in, taking off her shoes to avoid making any noise. Just as she rounded the corridor into a steel grey room a voice made her spine shiver.

"Oi!" someone shouted from around the corner. "Who the ruddy heck left their shoes in here?"

April held her hands over her mouth to avoid a gasp.

Then, she ran down the corridor. The footsteps behind her were getting bigger and bigger very quickly. She was beginning to freak out.

Finally, she found a door that lead into the Janitor's room. She snuck in, careful not to make a noise as she went inside.

If this man sees me I am screwed, thought April.

The footsteps came dashing to the door. And then they stopped, right outside the janitor's closet. April tensed, ready to run.

Suddenly, she heard more footsteps. Another man was coming. She leaned down and looked through the bottom of the door.

They both were wearing heavy, leather boots.

They must be S.W.A.T members, thought April.

The realisation was very scary. That meant they both had guns.

But instead of opening the door, they started talking.

"Hey George," said one of them.

"Sup," replied the man who was named George.

"I can't believe that kid who attacked all of those officers," said the other man.

"I know, half of them are dead, the rest with broken rib cages and arms and... God knows what else," answered George.

April felt every fibre in her body flex. She was so scared.

What had happened to Jack? she wondered.

"Apparently, the kid teleported away to escape the cops though," said George.

"Jeez," replied the other man.

"By the way," brought up the other man. "Look what I found!"

April couldn't see, but she knew that the man was holding up her pink trainers.

"Who left those in here?" asked George.

"Someone with brown hair, a girl and is inside this very closet," said the other man.

Oh crap, thought April. They found me!

Right on cue, the door opened.

"Where'd she go?" wondered the man aloud.

"I think your hallucinating," replied George. "There's no one here."

April smiled from behind the cupboard. At the last second she had thrown herself inside the white cupboard that held the washing appliances.

"Come on, lets go," muttered George. "Go day dream somewhere else and do something useful for once."

April nearly laughed. As the men left, she smiled for the first time in ages. She had won.