The New Job

I didn't mean to slam my locker that hard. I actually didn't even realize I did until I spun around and saw almost everyone's eyes on me. I couldn't help it. I was angry.

My mom had told me yesterday that I had to get a job because she's not gonna be the only one paying for my college education to which I asked how much a part time job with minimum wage would help at all. She said that any money is good money. It's not like I didn't want to help her pay its just that I was skeptical about how much 3 years of a minimum wage job would help. What made me angry out of all of this, though, was that I had to work my diving schedule around my work schedule. In other words, work was more important than diving and I would have to thoroughly disagree with that.

"Are you okay?" Armin was the first to notice that I had an angry look on my face. I didn't even notice until he pointed out my red face. I took a deep breath and relaxed.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I sighed.

Sometimes I think I'm a little too obsessed with diving. It's a past time. Something that makes me feel at home. It was the only thing I had when my dad left us. My mom became depressed and after school I would go to the pool. One day, my school's diving coach had approached me and asked me if I would like to join the team. At first, I couldn't because I needed to be there for my mom. But later she had told me to do what makes me happy because if I was happy she would be, which is a typical mom answer, but I was still inspired.

So, now, cut to the present, I'm here and Armin is looking at me like I'm an expensive Renaissance vase that's about hit the floor. I quickly picked my bag up off the floor and hastily walked out of the locker room.

"Eren, what's wrong?" Armin had fast walked out after me and now he had his hand on my shoulder, turning me around. I was in the middle of the school commons by the time he had gotten to me.

"Nothing, Armin, I'm fine, really."

"Are you sure? You seem like you have a lot on your mind."

"Well, I'm fine but thank you." I looked up to see that he had a smirk on his face. "What?"

"I don't think a person that wasn't thinking about a lot would be so distracted as to leave the locker room in their speedo." My eyes widened and I looked down, noticing my small blue elastic wrapped around my waist still and I rushed to the nearest bathroom and slipped into my jump suit that I was given just yesterday as an official member of the team. When I was done, I walked out, seeing Armin standing outside waiting for me. As soon as he saw me he chuckled and said "whenever you wanna talk, I'm here." He then stuck his hand in the air, smiled and said "later!" As he walked away in his matching green jumpsuit.

                  +++++++++++++++

"Do you guys have any application forms?" I asked and the lady behind the counter nodded her head and handed me a form. I thanked her and walked to the back, sitting in a booth. It was a nice little ice cream shop, I wouldn't mind working here. I'll definitely be busy between this, diving, and school. It's not like I had a list of people who were waiting to hang out with me. I mean I guess this will be good for me.

When I was done I handed my application form in and got a scoop of ice cream while I was at it. I had to walk all the way back up to my house after this because I didn't take my car but that's okay. More conditioning for diving! I also need to work off that scoop of ice cream that I just had. It was delicious but delicious can be costly with my diet. Other people would say that I'm skinny but I say I'm aerodynamic. Which is a good thing, you need that when you dive.

I commenced my walk/jog up the steep 2 mile hill to my house but you would never guess who I ran into on the way up. It was Levi and he was on his way down. When he saw me he looked at me, gave me one of those head nods that guys do and then kept on moving which most people would settle for but for me, I was very offended cause um... I expect for people to acknowledge me.

Anyways, when I got home I set my school bag down and headed up to my room to go shower and do my homework. But, when I got upstairs my mom had left a present on my bed for me with a note that said saw these and thought of you. Happy late birthday! I love you! :) I opened the box and saw that she had gotten me a black speedo to match the rest of the boys on the team and some green accented goggles. But these weren't just any goggles. These were non-fog goggles! The ones I wanted! I smiled and then went to go take a shower, reminding myself to tell my mom, thank you when she gets home.

***Hey! This chapter was more to just show how passionate Eren is about diving if that wasn't already obvious, I guess haha! Hope you enjoyed! :)