Chapter Four: Let the Pieces Fall Where They May

Recap:

He brushed some strands of hair out of my face and lightly ran his fingers against my cheek then traced my bottom lip with this thumb.  “I’m so sorry.” sorry? For what? For almost kissing me? But he didn’t answer me. I couldn’t build up the courage to actually make those words come out of my mouth. He pulled up my blanket to cover me further and before I knew it his warmth was gone and I heard his bed shifting under his weight. “goodnight princess.”

_____________________________________________________________________________________

I was fully aware it was Monday morning when I began to stir. I was exhausted, considering the fact that I lay awake in bed thinking for at least an hour after Travis got back. I decided that he got angry last night because we almost kissed. The thought of actually kissing me must have absolutely repulsed him…I mean why would someone like Travis want to kiss me. It’s the only thing that made any sense, and for some reason the thought made my heart drop to my stomach. I came to the conclusion that Travis really was making an effort to change…at least when I was around. I had no idea what he did at that party but I decided that he wasn’t intentionally trying to drive me crazy and get into my head. I had to try my hardest not to cry, but it in end I knew that his lack of attraction toward me was for the best. We were roommates after all. I also determined that he said he was ‘so sorry’ because he thought he gave me the wrong impression. From now on I’d just have to make it clear that he didn’t have to worry that I got the wrong idea about how he felt. That couldn’t be hard right? I’d just have to spend as little time with him as possible and hopefully soon I’d hear back from student services for a new room. I could do this…I think. I sighed frustrated, with all the thoughts running through my head. I couldn’t even begin to understand why I was so upset that he didn’t like me…I could hardly stand the guy two days ago, heck I just started getting along with him yesterday afternoon! Emotions were a bitch.

Luckily my first class today didn’t start until ten so I had an hour before I had to leave. I rolled over and found that Travis bed was empty; he mentioned yesterday that he had a class early Monday morning. Maybe avoiding him would be easier than I thought. After a few minutes of mentally preparing myself for the day I pushed myself out of bed and headed for the bathroom.

The water felt nice as I let the steam relax me and push away all my thoughts. When my fingers started to get wrinkly I decided it was time to get out. I wrapped a towel around myself and opened the door. A shiver ran up my spine when I was greeted with the cold air. I stepped out of the bathroom and was surprised to find a shocked Travis staring at me wide eyed. 

After a minute of complete confusion and a hint of red on his cheeks he turned around. “Sorry. I-um- uh I’ll leave.” okay so maybe it won’t be easy at all.

 “oh my god. This is so embarrassing…No. It’s okay just let me get some clothes on. What are you doing here? I thought you had class this morning.” I asked awkwardly while finding an outfit for today, my life could not possibly get worse.

“My class finished and I came back here to get some food and see if you needed help finding your class, you didn’t really get a tour of the campus yet and I know you started at ten so here I am.”

When I was fully dressed, and the blush from my cheeks was mostly gone, I walked back into the kitchen to find him still faced the opposite way. “It’s safe now.” I laughed. When he turned around the pink was still lightly painted on his cheeks, it was adorable. I mentally scolded myself for thinking that, but in my defense his eyes looked even brighter today, and it looked like he had just run his hand though his hair several times, it was breaking through my resolve.

“Sorry again.” He said awkwardly.

“No that was my fault. I didn’t know you had a break between classes so I wasn’t expecting you back and thank you.”