Silent Halls And Nameless Faces

Sally

We got a call from Camp. They were holding Percy for now as they were raged into war. They had cured his metastasis, he was breathing fine on his own now. As always, he was leading the camp.

When it's Tuesday and he's not back, Tyler not in school this week, she gets out earlier, so does Percy I suppose. They're out not. But she's here and they both walk over.

"Where's Percy?" Morgan asked me.

"I'm not sure," I told him," he's not home. Why?"

"We need to leave in ten minutes," Tyler told me," with him. When did he leave?"

"Friday."

"And you're not concerned that he isn't home?"

"I know why he's not home, I know what he's doing," I clarify for them.

"Still!" Morgan said," you're not concerned?"

"Of course I'm concerned," I told my oldest son," Morgan, Tyler, you haven't been around for a while what so ever. Okay? This happens."

"No it doesn't!" And there's the protective big brother in Morgan, " Mom! This never happened to me!"

"You're not your brother and your brother is not you, Morgan," I tried to explain," things are different."

"Still." He tried to conceive," Mom, he's a teenager. He doesn't just go off for five days doing who knows what! "

"Morgan, I can't control it!" I was having troubles explaining this to him without being harsh about it," if it was my choice he would be home! But he's not. It still does and will forever remain his father's decision. Okay, at least this time we knew he was leaving and not waking up in the middle of the night and he isn't there and not hearing from him after 8 months. Would you rather have that, Morgan? Okay, get used to this. Its the like fifth time this has happened and I'm assuming he's going to be gone for a few weeks. Then he'll come home for a day to pack and he'll leave because he doesn't live here in the summer anymore. Again, not my choice. Okay, trust your brother. He's 17, not 7. He can survive, trust me. He's done it before."

And sure enough, the start on June he was home. He didn't have his oxygen anymore. Didn't need it anymore. But once again he had grown quiet as he often does after each war.

"Is that normal?" Morgan asked with concern. Tyler coming over later to celebrate. I warned, saying he won't be in the mood but.

I nod my head.

"Just give him his time," I told him," he'll adjust back. I imagine he went through a lot. I doubt he'll want to celebrate anything tonight."

"I kind of figured."

Percy

Katie.

Austin.

Butch.

Ella.

The entire Ares Cabin minus Frank and Clarisse.

Jason.

Hazel.

Annabeth.

Reyna.

Lila.

Cecil.

And that's just the start of the list.

Of the dead, that is. Not the living. We weren't that lucky for them to live. The memorial was this afternoon. I left from there.

Maybe five minutes after I returned home and got up to my room, Morgan knocked as he walked in. I had finished unpacking from what was supposed to be a fun weekend.