And Then I Found Out How Hard It Is To Really Change

Nico

Ever since the war everything has been okay, I guess. I've been fine. Will and I never dated, no. I know he likes me and that's flattering and all, but Percy just... I never told him about my still existing crush on him so. For a while I thought I was over him, but maybe not.

Unlike me, though, ever since the war I don't think he's been doing quite a well. He's home now, with his mom and step dad, Paul. But every once in a while I'll have a dream and just... I don't know. I was sort of concerned but if I just left camp to see him...

That wouldn't end well.

But Christmas was nearing and I had gotten everyone their presents that I felt I should get one for, and seeing as I was going to the Underworld for Christmas anyways I figured on my way I might as well stop by and drop off what I got Percy for Christmas. And even Sally and Paul. I figured if I stopped by they might want something, too. I knew Paul was a school teacher for High School and then Sally loved writing and baking and what not. So I got things I felt would suit them for what I had heard and what I has gotten to see of them when I met them a few years back now.

I left camp at noon, telling Argus to bring me to Percy's place as he obligated and brought me to my destination as I had a bag of presents for a number of people. My dad, Persephone, Demeter, Cerberus, so on and so forth. Hazel, shed be there with me and Dad this year. hopefully.

Once I arrived and knocked on the door, Sally was the one who answered. She smelled of cookies as I faintly remembered. Her hair pulled back into a pony, wearing just a simply teal shirt with black leggings.

"Nico!" At least she remembered me, right? "Hi, I didn't know you were stopping in today. Please, come in."

She let me in and it's Christmas Day. Dad celebrates a day late for some reason and camp a day early. I expected quite a few people in there, but there was nobody aside Paul and Percy with Sally. Percy never talked a lot about family aside his mom and Paul. I never really cared to ask, though.

They had been sitting around a pine tree, in the process of opening presents. So I guess I showed up at the perfect time?

And my feeling was right. He had changed. The bags under his eyes were dark and heavy, he was paler, looking he hadn't gotten any sleep in a month. Even better than when he came out of Tartarus. And he looked at his worst getting out of that place.

It was heartbreaking to see. For years I've looked up to the son of Poseidon as somebody that was always happy and could bring a smile to any situation but he...

This just seemed to be somebody else entirely.

When he saw me, he gave me a small smile under the assumption that I hated him, of course. That's the influence he's been under for years.

"I'm just on my way to my own celebrations," I assured Sally," I thought it wouldn't do harm to pop in for a few minutes."

"Oh, where are you going?" Paul asked me and I noticed the warning look Percy gave him that Paul didn't notice," to your mom's for the holiday? "

Percy gave me a look that tried to apologize for his step father.

"Uh... Um, no," I tried to ignore it," my dad. I wish I'd be celebrating with my mom."

"Well why can't you?" Sally questioned and Percy was just so like kind of upset like they were asking this.

"She uh..." I realized how little I ever said this," she died when me and my sister were little, not long after we moved to America."

"Oh, gods, I'm so sorry," Sally told me," that is hard."

And for a second I had to consider her working.

That IS hard. Not That WOULD BE hard.

Like, how would she know?

"Uh, yeah," I partially agreed, and decided to change the subject and lifted up my bag of presents, " but on a positive note, I have presents!"

That cheered them up pretty quickly. Well, not Percy. His mood didn't seem to change all too much. I imagine he expected a hate card and some stupid present.

Sally and Paul loved their gifts, Percy hasn't opened his quite yet. But Sally went to check on something in the kitchen and Paul back in one of the rooms and I noticed there was just something off about Percy, and not just how he had changed over the past few months but about just how he seemed right now. He didn't seem happy. He seemed kind of disappointed, sad.

Nobody should be sad on Christmas.

"Hey," I said in a soft tone, walking over to him, barely earning his attention," are you okay?"

"I'm fine," the son of Poseidon tried to play it off like it was nothing as I saw pools of water gather in his eyes, and his voice weakened," why wouldn't I be?"

For a moment, I didn't know what to say. Because every other time this scenario was played the other way around and how I play the part? What do I say? What do I do? He was my hero and he needed help. But I didn't know how to.

"Did you seriously just say that?" It was the first thing that came out of my mouth.

"What?" He asked in a defensive manner," Nico, I can assure you, I'm fi -"

"You're fine but you're on the borderline of crying?" I questioned," Percy, I don't care what anyone says, that's not fine, that's not happy. Its Christmas for gods sake, nobody should be sad on Christmas."

"I'm not sad."

"No, but you're certainly not happy," I agreed and differentiated," Percy, you look worse than you did after you got out of Tartarus. You're pale, I'm not sure I've even had bags that dark under my eyes, and you know me, Percy, they're bad."

For a second I paused and he took his chance to speak.

"Why do you care?"

Why do I care?

I just kind of looked at him with this expression I can't even begin to express to you it was filled with so much hurt and confusion and disbelief at what just came out of his mouth.

"Why do I-"

"Yes, why do you suddenly care?" Percy snapped at me out of almost nowhere," you hate me, Nico," there was strike one," just because it's Christmas doesn't mean things have changed, just because I'm home doesn't mean everything goes back to the ways things used to be," strike two," okay? I don't even understand why you bought presents for a family that belongs to a person you want dead, I just-"

Strike three.

I snapped back.

"I hate you?" I questioned in return," thanks for telling me, I didn't know. I know things haven't changed, Percy. Nothing has changed. Just for once I was trying to be nice and to maybe change something for the better. Just because you think something doesn't make it a fact, Percy. Just because you think I hate you, just because you think I want you dead doesn't mean that's necessarily the truth. When was the last time those words came out of my mouth that I wished you death? When I was 12, an emotional wreck, and not wanting to accept the death of my older sister? 3 years ago."

He opened his mouth but was at a loss of words and just kind of looked down.

"I thought we were past that," I informed him," I really thought after this summer we had moved past that, but I guess I was mistaken. Sorry about that. I didn't mean to bother you like I did, I'll just leave."

As I started to go towards the door, Percy spoke.

"Nico," it was just my name, a simple movement of air to call my attention," I..."

"What?" I asked and noticed something.

Perseus Jackson, son of Poseidon and Hero of Olympus.

He was crying.

I walked back over and after a few seconds heard Sally and Paul say they'd be back in about an hour and I kneeled down to where Percy was sitting. In front of him, pushing his chin up so he was looking at me.

"What happened?"