Chapter Six

CHAPTER SIX

            They kept running test after test on him. His parents were allowed to see him for a few minutes then they were transporting him again. He was awake from the coma but he was tired his parents said. He barely kept his eyes open. I sat in the waiting room with Dom, Orion, and Nick's parents. Dad only dropped me off. He had a big day at the gallery so he couldn't stay. We were all tired, happy, scared, excited, and a lot of other emotions all wrapped up in one.

I excused myself to get some fresh air. It was suffocating in there. My emotions were going haywire. Reality crashed down on me and it finally sunk in that I was going to see Nick awake, see his eyes, hear his voice...maybe a smile if he felt good. We wouldn't be able to talk, but maybe Nick being awake would distract me from everything that had been going on inside my head.

The sky had an odd hue at the hour. It was combination of blue, white clouds, and a shade of orange from the sun that was yet to make a decent appearance. The air was perfect. Not too hot and not too cold. The pace was slow. No one seemed to be in a rush.

Things were going to get hectic. I sensed it and I was ready for it. As soon as I closed my eyes and breathe in the fresh air that I had so desperately graved an image of Nick's smiling face was the only thing I saw. He was my anchor. He always kept me at bay. I smiled too, embracing the moment when my heart began to pound with fear.

I would never hurt Nick. I would never hurt Nick. I will never hurt Nick.

"Repeat it enough and you'll believe it," I told myself sarcastically.

Hearing the doors open in the quiet morning, I looked over to see the people I had left in the waiting room walking out.

I opened my mouth but Orion beat me to it. "They're still running tests on him and they say we can see him after ten tomorrow. He'll be transferred from ICU by then."

"Oh..."

"Yeah, I know. He needs his rest though, so..." Dominic trailed off over a yawn. "Let's get you home." When I got home I thought I'd be too tired to sleep but instead I fell face first unto the bed and was out.

My bed dipped while I was in deep sleep. I opened my eyes just enough to see Savannah staring at me. She had her makeup done and she had color on her lips. Nastya was here then. Sighing, I grabbed a pillow as I reintroduced my face to the mattress and put the pillow over my head, preparing for the nagging I knew was coming.

"Daddy sent me to wake you up!"

"Why?" I asked.

"You're late for class."

I thought about it and thought about it some more. "'M not going today."

"He wants to know about Nick, too."

"I didn't get to see him. Only his parents. Bye, Sav."

I slept until afternoon. I got showered, got dressed and all but ran out of the house. I made sure I had the puppy with me. Fuck. I was excited and nervous. The strangest combination of emotions and tell me why? Halfway to the ICU I remembered he was being transferred.

I found out he was transferred to the ninth floor. I stopped at the gift shop again, decided on an Orchid instead of something that would die soon. Each bell in the elevator, whether to pass a floor or to stop at a floor to let people on or off was one floor closer to seeing Nick.