Episode 1.1: What is the Matrix?

The Director blinked.  “What?” he asked, obviously clueless.

“FANWOOD,” Wattpad repeated, “You know.”

“Yeah,” he said slowly, “But FANWOOD doesn’t exist – I made it up.”

“We know that, Mr. Tolkien,” Paris said, “We want to know where London and Loki are.”

The Director stared at Paris for a moment and then exclaimed in realization, “Paris!  You’re Paris!  Wow!  You are prettier than what I imagined you to be.”

Paris blinked.  “Was that a compliment?  Because if it was… thank you very much,” she said as she bowed deeply.  Then she straightened and glared at him as she asked, “Now where are they?”

“Who?” he asked.

“London and Loki!” Christine said in exasperation, “Are you paying ANY attention?”

“Yes,” he said, his feelings slightly hurt, “Of course I’m pay- Christine?  CHRISTINE DAAE?!”

Tom stood up and began to introduce himself, “Hello, I’m Thomas-”

Christine overlapped him with, “How do you know my name?”

Paris mixed into the commotion, “Where are they?  You still haven’t answered-”

The Director said, “I really don’t believe I’m here, so this had better be-”

“HEY!” Wattpad shouted and the room silenced.  “I didn’t summon him here so you could bicker.  Ask him your questions.”

“Where have Lon-” Paris began.

“I put them where I wanted them,” The Director cut her off, “I put them on the Grid.”

“THE GRID?!” Paris screeched as she yanked The Director towards her, “ARE YOU INSANE?!”

He thought a moment and replied, “Maybe.”

 -

Now she knew what going through the portal felt like.  It was a combination of a dizzying and falling sensation mixed with the smell rushing water and the feeling of sand running over every exposed part of her skin.

And then the abrupt collision with the universe on the other side.

In this case, it was grass.  In a park with lots of trees and benches.  It was near a river and beyond the river was a city.  London sat up, looked around, and realized that the park was in the city, too.  She looked to her left and saw Loki lying on the grass, flat on his back.  She tilted her head and noted how funny he looked while he was asleep – perhaps it was the fact that, even though he was asleep, he was smiling.

Who knows what mischief he was dreaming up this time.

He was wearing the same outfit he had worn when he was in Germany in The Avengers – including the scarf and cane.

London stood up and looked at her outfit.  She was wearing an outfit similar to something she would wear in FANWOOD – a Batman t-shirt, jeans, tennis shoes, and a gray jacket.  Thankfully, her sunglasses were in her jacket pocket and she put them on.  She knelt down beside Loki and studied him for a few moments.  Then she reached down and poked him in the ribs.

He bolted into an upright position, now wide awake.  He looked around, looked at London, and then asked, “Where are we?”

London shrugged, stood up, opened her mouth to say something, and then froze.

“London?” Loki asked curiously as he stood, “Are you all right?”

Her eyes were wide as she shook her head vehemently and grasped her throat.

Loki tilted his head as he leaned forward and asked, “Can you speak?”

She shook her head again and sniffed miserably.

He gave a quick laugh, like he’d never come across a mute person before.  Then he hid his smile, extended his arm towards her and asked, “Well, Ariel, where shall we go?”

London made a face at him, but took his arm anyway and pointed towards the buildings on the opposite side of the river.