16

"Ryan!" Brendon yells down the corridor as he races after a fleeing Ryan. But Ryan doesn't turn around, he keeps moving, rounding the corner to the corridor that leads to his room.

Brendon can't exactly blame him for running away. He would probably do the same if he knew his own family was murdered. The man at the wedding had announced the death of King George and Prince Spencer. He had said that late last night a riot broke out just outside of the castle, and when people got in George and Spencer tried to fight them but there were just too many people and...... And they failed to protect themselves.

Brendon couldn't possibly imagine how Ryan must have felt. The heartbreak he must be going through... It made Brendon want to weep just thinking of it. "Ryan..." Brendon sighs as he rounds the corner and sees his love reaching for the handle to his room. There isn't a guard in sight, it's just Brendon and Ryan, alone. Ryans shoulders droop down as he turns slowly to face Brendon. His eyes are red and puffed out, probably due to the tears Brendon can see rolling down the mans cheeks. He wants to tell him everything will be okay, but it won't. He lost his family and now nothing will ever be the same. How does one console someone that has happened to? They can't. All they can do is be by their side and when they are ready to talk, the person will listen.

So that's what Brendon decides he shall do. He slowly walks towards Ryan, opening his arms for Ryan to fall into, which he does. His body practically collapses into Brendons arms and his mouth opens to let the most painful sob Brendon has ever heard break the silence of the long hall. Brendon runs his fingers through Ryans hair and sighs as tears of his own slip down his own cheeks. But he manages to get the strength to swoop Ryan into his arms and slowly carry him to his room, lay him on his bed, and cuddle up right next to him as he cries into Brendons chest uncontrollably.

***

It takes a few hours but eventually Ryan is finished sobbing. He looks sickly almost from all the tears he has wept. It breaks Brendon's heart to see him like this. "He's really gone..." Ryan all but whispers, clutching onto Brendon's chest.

"Your father was brave. He fought until he could n--" Brendon starts

"I could care less about my father!" Ryan all but yells as he sits up on the bed, his fingers running through his hair. He looks angry for just a moment before his shoulders slump and his head falls to look at the floor. "Spencer....." he sighs. He looks as though he wants to cry but he lacks the tears to do so. He cried them all out earlier.

Brendon sighs and sits up so he can wrap his arms around Ryans waist. He places a soft kiss against Ryans shoulder and let's out a sad hum. "He will have the burial of a king. I will see to it that your brother is remembered not just as a prince but as a warrior. He will be written into history as one of the strongest leaders of all time. That way his legacy will live on."

Ryan manages a smile at Brendon's words and nods. "I'd appreciate that... more than you could know." He sighs gently, turning to leave a kiss against Brendon's temple before frowning once again. "I have to go Brendon..." he sighs.

"Go where?" Brendon asks as Ryan gets to his feet. "Surely you're not going back there now with the uprisings and all..." Ryan ignores his words and begins filling his trunk with his clothes, avoiding eye contact with Brendon at all costs. "Ryan they will kill you...." Brendon let's out, even the idea of it strikes his voice full of pain and anguish.

"I have to save my kingdom. My people.." Ryan says, stopping in his tracks. He looks up at Brendon and sucks in a deep breath. "After all, I am their king now." He sighs before closing his trunk and locking the clasps.

"Then I'm going with you." Brendon stands up, his gaze steady and determined. "And I'll bring my men. We will take your kingdom back and we will make sure that everyone knows to never cross King George the second."

Ryan looks into Brendon's eyes for a moment, taking in the strength he's showing. It reminds Ryan of his brothers strength, and how he'd rather die than give up without a fight. So Ryan nods. "We leave in an hour. Be ready, or I will leave without you."

All Brendon can do is nod. An hour was plenty of time.