12

The lagoon was nice, but they were forced to leave. They had to get ready for the ceremony, and although making out until they were both gasping for air was fun, they had responsibilities to attend to.

Brendon had made his decision, with Ryan's help of course. And now he stood in the ballroom, crown sat atop his head and body clothed in jewels and grand robes. He let his fingers run over the sword on his side as he waited for his father and the guards to enter. Ryan waited on the side, voice silent as he waited as well.

Soon enough, the sound of marching and rattling armor echoed through the halls, sounding the arrival of King Boyd.

Brendon sucked in a breath as he watched his father enter the room, his men at his side, and sit on his throne right in front of Brendon.

"I have the roses ready. All you have to do now is pick the princess we send it to." Boyd announces with a small smile playing his lips. "I am very excited for you my son."

Brendon frowns at that, letting his eyes fall to his feet as he lets out a small sigh. "Thank you father." He nods, returning his gaze to his fathers eyes. "But I refuse." He states quickly, making even the knights gasp.

"Brendon. You'll be careful to rethink that. You must choose a wife." Boyd says, smile quickly fading from his lips. "Might I suggest Sarah from R-"

"You might suggest nothing." Brendon cuts Boyd off quickly, making his father raise his brows. "A choosing ceremony suggests that I have a choice in my future. My choice is to have no wife."

Boyd's eyes narrow slightly at his own son. "You don't get to make that choice. You should find yourself lucky that you even get to pick who your wife will be. In this situation, no is simply not an option." Boyd rises to his feet. "I will not sit here and let my own son tell me what will happen in my kingdom. Now, I think I've been a kind king, I've given you freedom that not many other kings would. I've been understanding in your affairs and I've loved you with my whole heart, but this? This, I will not stand for. You will take a wife and you will rule Angardia with her at your side. If you can't decide on who, I will decide for you, Brendon. I can promise you that."

"Well then go ahead, father. Because I will not willingly alter my happiness just so that our family line won't die." Brendon all but yells.

Boyd stops for a moment, moving to sit back down on his thrown. "Sarah of Ragard." He looks to his men and smiles. "The Prince has chosen Sarah or Ragard as his queen. You can send the roses there." The knight nods gently. "And knight? There will be no word of what has happened tonight leave this castle. Or I'll have your head." The knight nods quickly and then heads out with his fellow knights.

"Well that was spectacular father. Threaten one of your own men." Brendon scoffs, rolling his eyes.

"You will be careful with that tongue, Brendon. I am still your king." He sighs. "And all I do is because I love you, and care about your future."

Brendon scoffs softly at that.

"You know why that boy stands beside you?" Boyd asks, motioning towards Ryan. "Because I love you. And I know how you feel for him. I can see it in your eyes. Same look I used to give your mother. That's why I've advised king George to accept our offer, on the condition that he also let's Ryan stay as your right hand. He has agreed." Ryan's eyes light up at that. "Your queen will know of your affairs but will not speak of it, because she will know of the damage it will do not only to us, but to her reputation as well. You will live happily with your right hand, but you will make an heir with your queen, so that your affairs are hidden from the people. You'll be wise to follow my plan."

Brendon nods softly, taken aback by the planning done by his father. "I'm sorry to have challenged you father. Thank you."

Boyd shakes his head gently and breathes out a chuckle. "You're just like your mother. Stubborn as hell. But you're welcome Brendon. I love you."

"I love you too father." Brendon smiles brightly.