8

( Kayla in eighth grade)

" Kay, wake your ass up, Dre is here!" My mother's loud obnoxious voice yelled from the kitchen

I open then close my eyes, I can just image her sitting at the small round table with a bottle of vodka half drunken and a glass in her hand.

" KAYLAAAA!" She yells louder

    " I'm up! Geez stop fucking yelling there's no need for that bs so early in the morning"

Next, I hear loud footsteps coming towards my door and I brace myself for the worst. She comes at me, fist bald . She swings hitting me in my jaw, then she just swings randomly until Dre comes up here and pulls my mom off of me. She leaves the room and Dre helps me up.

     "Kay.." He starts

" Thanks" I say bitterly before going into my bathroom and locking the door behind me

I look at myself in the mirror, I have a bruise on the left cheek, a busted lip , bruises on my stomach. I shrug, I learned not to show me sad or crying anymore. Makes me look weak, I'm not weak. I quickly take a shower and throw on a pair of black jeans and  White T-shirt , I walk back out and put on my beat up black Convers before  I grab my bag and head out the door with Dre behind me. In the car were Dres two older brother  Grey and Daniel, Dre was adopted but they love him like he's their blood brother.

 " God Kay, not again." Daniel sighed

            I glare at him before taking my concealer out of my makeup bag.

" What happened this time?" Grey asked, looking into the rearview mirror.

                           " Her smart mouth. " Dre answered for me

I apply the concealer, fill in my eyebrows so the scar isn't noticeable, and contour and highlight to take the darkness away from the bruised spot. Finally, seven coats of mascara go on my long eyelashes before we stop at the middle school. Dre and I pile out and walk in just as the bell was ringing,  I wave by and walk away but then Dre grabs my hand.

  " Kay? "

I look at him

                                                        " Dont get into anything today. Okay?" He asks

        " If a bitch..." He cuts me off

    " Promise me Kayla. Please." He looks at me with sincerity

I nod my head and he drops my hand, letting me go.