Chapter 21

Chapter 21

That morning at school was a bit hectic. Eric must’ve told his friends something because no one was looking at her like a pitiful victim over what happened Friday. For the most part everyone ignored her like they always did. Lena’s friends were still royal bitches but Mel welcomed the normalcy of it because it was what she was used to. Better to be ignored than looked upon with pity and hatred.

She thought it’d be a simple boring Monday but soon she’d be proven wrong with a surprise she’d never imagine.

At lunchtime Eric joined her outside where she sat alone at one of the smaller tables. “Did everything go ok with your mom yesterday?” he asked.

“Yeah, she bought your cover story but made me promise to be more courteous and at least call her next time.” Mel knew her mother was only being so civil because she wanted her daughter to be more social and out of her head. If it had been Lena who crashed at a boy’s house she’d be grounded for a month.

“Are you free today after school?” he looked nervous to be asking.

“I know you have that test tomorrow.” Mel made it easier for him to ask for help studying.

“I know after Friday I don’t have the right---”

“I can help you.” After his assistance yesterday Mel felt it was only fair to help him with a subject she thought was nearly as easy as breathing. She wasn’t going to let him forget how much he had hurt her feelings but until she was ready to truly forgive him they could work on their friendship. “I have to help my mom for an hour after school with some work but after that I’m free.”

Eric was shocked; it brought a bright color of red to his cheeks. “Thanks. Call me when you’re ready and I’ll come by unless you’d rather come to my house. My mom still wants that rematch.”

“Your place it is then.”

Mel was more than willing to kick Mrs. Marcetti’s butt again at Wii. It’s save her from a boring afternoon alone in her bedroom. Anthony had late classes and they agreed to see each other later in the week.

After school Mel caught a ride home with Lena after her twin had offered. “Is there a reason you’re being nice?” Mel wasn’t used to see her sister in a good mood aimed toward her.

“I realized you’re right and I should stop being such a bitch. I’ll let you make your horrible choices and when they blow up I’ll be the awesome sister that I always am and tell you I was right.” In Lena speak that was as good as it was going to get but at least she wasn’t going to be hounding her to break up with Anthony.

Mel rolled her eyes. “Thanks.” She decided to accept whatever peace offering Lena was willing to give because even though she was horrible at wording it she was trying to be supportive in her own way. It really didn’t matter as long as she backed off.

“What did you and Eric talk about during lunch?” Lena asked now.

“He needs help with tomorrow’s test. I’m going to his place later.” Mel offered that piece of information to avoid a fight later when Lena found out and complained about not being invited.

“Oh good I have no plans. I can go with you.”

“Yay.” Mel mumbled and was glad their attempt at conversation was over and the rest of the ride was pleasant enough. She’d rather be annoyed with Lena than mad at her because of some unnecessary fight that left them both hurt.

Back home they went their separate ways.

Mel found her mom typing away in her office. “Eric invited me to his place later to help him study.” She remembered her mother’s words yesterday about letting her know what her plans were.

“That’s fine sweetie. You two are spending a lot of time together.”

“He needs a lot of help with school, that’s it.” she really didn’t want her mother getting the wrong idea. She silently wished she could tell her mom about how wonderful Anthony made her feel and the progress of their relationship.

“Have a seat and help me with these.” She dived up the work load in half.

Mel hadn’t been expecting the shock of her life when she stepped outside to wait for Eric. She was sitting on one of the porch steps like she had many times before. She heard some footsteps and glanced up. She suspected it was Eric and was going to ask why she hadn’t heard his car when she realized there was no car and it wasn’t Eric.

She blinked several times and knew this wasn’t real. Yet she couldn’t tear her eyes away. Her heart stopped and swelled with regrets of loss and wishes of something that never was.

Mel shook her head, closed her eyes, and willed herself to snap out of this crazy fantasy. She opened her eyes and he was still there, now coming closer to her.

He reached out and touched the visor of her hat. “I didn’t think you’d still have it.”

Mel jumped to her feet. “What the hell is going on? You’re dead.” it wasn’t uncommon for her to think of Zander hundreds of different times a day but never had she pictured him this vividly and grown up. Her Zander had died young, too young.

“It’s me.”

“No, this is some crazy cruel joke that you’re playing because….” She couldn’t think of an answer that made an ounce of sense. She stopped herself from revealing too much and decided to ask questions. “If this is real, and I really doubt it, then who are you?”

“Zander Kale.” He knew she wanted a lot more than that. “We met in school in the fifth grade. You warned me that sitting with you at lunch was social suicide but I stayed anyway. We hung out every day at lunch and for weeks you hounded me with the question of why I kept coming back. I finally caved and admitted I liked your eyes. I thought you’d laugh and tease me for liking a girl even if it was you.” his awkward shrug was something she had seen Zander do millions of times but there was just no way was this guy him.

Mel stared at him and couldn’t turn away. “I never teased him. I was shell shocked someone like him liked someone like me.”

“I told you everyday for years you were beautiful and whoever didn’t think so was an idiot.”

Mel shrugged and turned away. “Fine you know some of his memories but Zander died in a house fire when we he was fifteen.” She looked toward the street and wondered when the hell Eric would get there. She needed to get out of there.

“It was a setup. My dad had gotten mixed up in some pretty dark shit and the state wanted him to testify. They set us up in witness protection with brand new names and tried to get us to forget our past lives. I never forgot you.” his voice was soft with emotions that sounded a lot like apology and pleading.  

“It’s been three years.” She said with disbelief.

“Exactly, I’m eighteen now and my parents and the Marshals couldn’t keep me away anymore. I had the right to leave and I did. You’re the only person I wanted to see.”

She heard the familiar car coming down the street; her exit. “I don’t believe you.” she confessed weakly, unable to look at him or hear his voice anymore. “I have to go.” She hoped inside the car with Eric and didn’t look back.