Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Eric was on cloud nine after getting his chemistry test score back. He was no longer in danger of being benched for the rest of the football season and the only person he had to thank was Mel. After practice he went home and shared the good news with his mother.

“I’m so happy you managed to turn it around.” Theresa said as she gripped her son like the proud mother she was. “Mel’s been really helpful, that girl is a godsend.”

“Yeah.” He said sheepishly as he ran his hand through his hair.

“Yeah?” she repeated with dislike. “That sounded loaded with something else.” 

“It’s nothing mom, and she likes Tony anyway.”

“I know and he likes her. The age difference isn’t ideal but they seem to be good for each other. Brothers are forever Eric, please never forget that.” She always said family was the most important thing in the world.

Eric smiled for her benefit. “Like I said it’s nothing. Mel’s a friend just like Lena.” It sounded good, like it could be the truth except it left a sour taste in his mouth to lie so bluntly to his mom and everyone else. “I’m meeting Andy but I’ll be home for dinner.” Another lie that came easy.

He drove to the Lowell residence. Amelia’s mom told him she was upstairs in her room. He was excited to see her and share the good news. He knocked on the closed door then stepped inside, rather then tell her about the test he showed her the paper.

“A ‘B’” she frowned. “That’s not exactly acing it….no I’m kidding with you. This is really great.” Her dramatic fake frown turned into a genuine smile which he knew didn’t happen often.

“I couldn’t have done it without you. No matter how hard I studied I just never got it until now.” He pulled her into a hug and wrapped his arms tight around her smaller frame. She felt soft and feminine in his arms, it was one of the nicest and truest feelings he had felt in a long time with a girl. The hug ended way too fast, one second she was there and the next they were stepping back. His eyes focused on her face and the urge he felt that night at his home to kiss her came rushing back. This time he couldn’t run away from it.

Before he was conscious of the action his hand came around the nape of her neck and pulled her back to him.

Before she knew what was happening Eric’s lips were on hers. Her hands came up to push him away but he had already ended the kiss. “Shit I’m sorry.” He said with embarrassment written all over his face.

Amelia didn’t want him to beat himself up over it. “No it’s ok.” She rushed to say and ease his concerns.

Eric ran his hand through his already messy hair as he looked at her, his expression turned into confusion along with the remorse. Except none of that stopped him from kissing her again.

“Eric, no.” she moved away from his reach and touched a hand to her throbbing lips. “We’re friends and friends don’t go around kissing each other.” Her heart raced, she didn’t know how she was supposed to handle this.

He avoided her eyes. “You’re right. I have to go.” He rushed out the door.

“Eric, wait!” she stood there dumbfounded. She valued him as a friend and never wanted to lose that but there was nothing else between them. Why the hell had he kissed her anyway? There was no way he actually felt something romantic toward her, it must’ve been from the excitement of passing the test.

“Mel!” her mother called from downstairs.

“Coming.” She would have to figure out what happened with Eric another time, if she could ever figure it out.

Her mom was waiting in the living room with her jacket on. “I’m going out with Theresa to the movies. I have no idea where your sister is but she should be home by eight o’clock, I want you to tell me if she’s late.”

“Yeah I’ll rat her out.”

Dana chuckled. “I’ll see you later. Call me if anything.”

Amelia stood there home alone -most teenagers dream come true- and didn’t have a single thing she wanted to do. With her mom home or gone she would still be in her room playing video games on the computer.  She spent the next hour doing just that and putting what happened with Eric out of her mind until the sound of the doorbell reached her ears upstairs.

Anthony stood on the other side of the door. “Hey. I know our moms are hanging out and I wanted to see you.” It had been two days since they spoke.

“They’ve always been civil but they really hit it off last night.” She said about their parents. “You missed it.”

“Not on purpose, I didn’t forget or anything like that. How was it?”

“It was fine.” She didn’t want to spend their time together talking about a night she’d rather forget.

They weren’t given the chance to talk about anything else when the door opened again and Lena stepped inside. “Oh this is rich.”

Mel ignored her sister as her eyes found Eric, he must’ve dropped Lena off. He looked at her and his brother for a split second before turning away back to his car. “Eric wait!” so much for hoping he’d be over what happened in her room. She made it on to the porch was he drove away. Her shoulders slumped; getting him to talk to her wasn’t going to be easy.

“What was that about?” Lena asked.

“Nothing.”

“Fine. Does mom know he’s here?” she crossed her arms and sent Anthony a glare.

“I told mom already about us being friends and she doesn’t have a problem with it.” Mel watched as her sister’s face lost all color. It was too bad she couldn’t take any enjoyment from it because her mind was still focused on Eric refusing to talk to her. “You’re going to have to go back to your old ways of torturing me.”

With a muttered groan Lena stomped her way upstairs.

“Really? About telling your mom?” Anthony asked while pulling her into a lose armed hug.

“Yeah. She wasn’t thrilled but she promised not to try and keep me from seeing you. Why didn’t you show at the dinner?”

“My trainer lined up a fight for me this Saturday and wanted to discuss some details. I wouldn’t want to spend an evening with our family together but I wouldn’t have ditched you without a good reason.”  With his deep blue eyes and crooked smile, lord help her she couldn’t be mad at him any longer. “What’s going on with Eric?” he asked next.

“I have no idea.” And that was the truth.