Chapter 7

Chapter 7

It was Saturday and Mel had nothing to do. She and Eric agreed to study Monday after school and it was too early to go see Anthony. She didn’t want to go see him and risk her mother asking any questions or realize she lied last night. When Mel got home and her mother asked where she had been she answered ‘with a friend’ a female friend. Her mother had been so happy that she was spending time with another human being that she wasn’t upset Mel had been home hours late and didn’t bother to call.

It was a little before ten that morning when Lena came into her room. “Where were you yesterday? Mom said you were hanging out with a friend.” She repeated as she rolled her eyes.

“Yeah, so?”

“You don’t have any friends Mel. Me and Andy were at Eric’s and Tony was conveniently missing too. You were together, weren’t you? Are you sleeping together?”  Lena yelled.

“Shut up, no! We haven’t even kissed. Why can’t you believe we’re just friends and Anthony’s a good guy?”

“Because I’m not an idiot.”

“And I am?” Mel pinched the bridge of her nose and grinded her teeth together at an unhealthy force. “Forget it just leave me alone Lena. I don’t need your opinion.”

“When that jerk breaks your heart don’t come crying to me.” She turned on her heel and stormed out of the room, slamming the door behind her.

Mel laid back on her bed and blinked back tears. She came to terms with the fact she and Lena would never be close but she hated to fight with her, not the teasing they normally did but really fight when one or both were truly heart.

She got up and left the room, if she stayed locked in there it was only a matter of time before she fell into the darkness.

Her mom was in the garage cleaning out old boxes. “Do you need help?” Mel asked.

“Sure. I asked Lena but she was on her way out. What about you, do you have any plans?”

Mel sat on an empty chair and took the box her mom slid over. “No.” Inside the box were clothes and toys they would sort through to donate to the good will.

“Why don’t you tell me about your new friend?”

Mel saw the excitement all over her mother’s face. “It’s really not that big of a deal. How’s the business going?” if they had to talk she rather it be about something else.

“Good. I could always use your genius if you’re ever feeling bored.” She sold and created various computer software.

“I’m always bored.” She joked as a way to let her mother know she was alright and not to worry.

Mel stopped and looked at each item in the boxes and each one had a memory attached but the memories felt like they belonged to someone else. She wasn’t that little girl anymore and neither was Lena.

When a car door slammed closed Mel looked up and saw they were no longer alone; Eric walked toward the open garage. He couldn’t be there for Lena; she had left to have lunch with Andy.

He smiled at her in greeting before turning to her mom. “Hi Mrs. Lowell, I’m here to pick up those pans for my mom.”

“Give me a minute I have them inside.” She dusted off her hands and went back inside using the side door back into the main house.

Mel continued emptying the box and separating items into two different piles; things they would gave away and the other was for trash.

“I’m sorry for losing it at dinner the other day.” Eric said when the cost was clear.

Me looked up and didn’t bother to brush her hair off her face. “You’re making your brother feel like shit and I know how that feels. Back off before he starts to resent you.” Her earlier fight with Lena flashed though her mind along with the countless others through the years.

“Do you resent Lena?”

“Let me guess, she called you and cried about our fight and now you’re here to defend her?”

“She did call me but because she felt bad and needed to vent.”

Mel scoffed. “You’re gullible. She wants me to follow her rules and she’s pissed I won’t listen to them. She’s not worried for my well being because if she was she’d try to listen to my point of view and realize I’m not a spineless idiot.”

Eric visibly thought about that. “Ok, what’s your point of view? I want to listen.”

He was trying to be supportive and after their talk in his kitchen Mel knew he cared for Anthony and accepted him, granted the acceptance was to a point but it was more then Lena accepted her. “Anthony’s not trying to use me or hurt me. He’s been a really good friend and I don’t have any of those. It’s unfair for you and Lena to try and take that away.”

His face softened into something that looked like sadness. “You’re right and I’ll back off.” He looked down at his shoes, swaying awkwardly as he avoided looking at her. “I could be your friend.”

Mel remembered when he said he liked her eyes, which had been weird for him too. Eric wasn’t good at saying nice things because he feared the reaction he’d gain but it wasn’t like she’d laugh in his face or something. “Why would you want to do that?”

He threw a quick glance her way. “It’s….nice having you around when you let people in.” he replied softly.

“Here Eric.” Her mom passed him a medium sized box with a complete bake ware set. “Thank your mom for me again, these were a lifesaver for the bake-off.”

“No problem Mrs. Lowell. Do you mind if I take Mel with me?”

You could’ve knocked her mother over with a feather as the joy left her frozen in place, her smile was so wide all her teeth showed. “Ah, sure.”

Mel rolled her eyes, her mother was too easy. “Mom you’re gonna catch bugs if you leave your mouth like that. He needs help with school, remember?” she didn’t want her mom getting the wrong idea and start hoping for something more.

“Right well you go and I’ll finish up here.”

Eric loaded the box into the car while she got into the passenger side, he joined her after waving goodbye to her mom then asked as they were alone, “You know I’m not taking you to study right?” his hazel eyes gleamed golden in the sun light.

“Then why?”

“You’ll see.”