Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Mel knew as she opened her eyes there was a world of trouble waiting for her back home. She was lying across Anthony’s chest and realized the sun was up, with a quick glance around the room she found the time. It was nearly 10 o’clock. She swore as she sat up.

“What is it?” Anthony asked, groggy from sleep.

“It’s Sunday morning and my mom is going to blow a gasket. She was fine with us being friends as long as we didn’t cross any lines.”

“You spending the night is a big line.” He realized as he sat up as well. “I’m sorry for asking you to stay.”

“No, don’t blame yourself.” She reached out and took his hand. “You were hurt,” Her eyes scanned his face. “still are.” She didn’t regret staying with him. The only thing she regretted was her family’s need to continue to be closed minded. She hadn’t done anything wrong with Anthony.

“I feel fine.” He flashed a weak smile that revealed he was clearly lying about his health. “Well fine enough that I can give you a ride back home.”

Mel shook her head. “I can call Eric for a ride or take the bus later.”

His blue eyes lit up. “Later?”

“I’m already in trouble. I want to spend as much time with you as I can.”

They both got out of bed to get cleaned up, Mel used the bathroom first. She used his bottle of mouthwash to rinse her mouth then ran a comb though her hair. It was a good thing he didn’t like her for being such a bombshell.

While he got cleaned up she went to the kitchen to find something they could have as breakfast. She was worried for him because of his injuries but he swore up and down he can handle being by himself.

In the refrigerator she found some eggs and cheese. “Scrambled eggs it is.” She mumbled to herself as she prepared the eggs and added toasted bread with butter to join them. She was setting the tables of food on the table when Anthony appeared. “Feeling all right?” she knew he was putting a brave front because she was there.

He tried to hide the limp on his left side. “Having you here I feel perfect.”

“Don’t lay it on too thick Romeo.” Mel hoped some humor would make him laugh and ease the grimace across his face.

Anthony smiled. “You bring out the cheesiness in me.”

“Then my job is complete.”

They sat and ate breakfast together. Mel knew she was going to have to face the music sometime and go home. She knew if she had a cellphone her mother would’ve called over a hundred times by now, she was over protective like that sometimes.

Mel tried not to focus on the problems this with Anthony was going to cause. She wanted to only focus on him. After breakfast she made it sound like her idea to sit on the couch and curl up together when in reality she knew he needed some more rest.

She was lying across his arm when someone knocked on the door. “Don’t move, I’ll get it.” she unlocked the deadbolt and opened the door to find Eric on the other side.

He sighed with what looked like relief. “Good you’re here. It would suck if you were dead in a ditch somewhere and I lied to your mom about you being safe.” He stepped inside.

“What did you tell her?” Mel asked as she shut the door. She would be over the moon that she had given Eric a second chance yesterday if he could help her out of this mess.

“I made up some skillful bullshit about you crashing on my couch after she called this morning. Thankfully my mom wasn’t home to verify.”

Anthony joined the conversation. “Where’s mom?”

“Church.  She went early to help Mrs. Harold set up for mass. I’m supposed to meet her in the next half hour.” Now that he mentioned it Mel noticed he was wearing a very nice suit, his hair was combed back neatly, and he looked very handsome. His hazel eyes were beautiful again. “I told your mom I’d drop you back home after you woke up.” Eric was saying now.

Mel reached forward and hugged him. “Thanks.” Physical affection wasn’t something she was big on but he had earned it. She didn’t know what she would’ve done if her mother had found out the truth and made a big deal about her not seeing Anthony anymore.

Eric was tense for a second before he returned the hug and stepped back. “I still owe you for not holding my idiocy against me. I can give you a ride now before we push our luck farther.”

Mel nodded and turned back to Anthony. “I’ll try to come back later. Don’t do anything stupid and hurt yourself more.” She kissed him lightly on the mouth and stared into his eyes for a moment. She really didn’t want to go but she knew she had to.

“I’ll be fine. Call me when you get back home.”

Mel kissed him one more time before moving away from the couch. She noticed Eric had his attention focused on the door. He was probably trying to give them some time alone she thought.

They were inside his car driving away from the studio apartment when Eric did finally speak. “You and Tony have gotten closer.” He had seen the kiss they shared.

“Yeah. I really care about him.” Mel didn’t want anyone to think she and Anthony were fooling around or something. What she felt was intense and real. She prayed it was the same for Anthony, it sure seemed like it was.

“I can see that, anyone around the two of you can see that. Our moms aren’t stupid and they’re picking up on it.” Eric warned.

“We’re not doing anything wrong.”

Eric shrugged and kept his eyes on the rode. “Your mom is worried because he’s older and my mom is worried about him getting his heart broken.”

“And what are you worried about?” Mel could see he was trying to be a good friend by offering help and advice but she saw how tense his shoulders were, she heard he was holding something back. 

Eric sighed and glanced at her for a beat before turning back away. “I’m worried you’ll get your heart broken. I don’t want to worry you but I know my brother and I’ve never seen him stay serious with a girl. He’s a great guy but I don’t know he’s everything you’re expecting.”

“There’s only one way to find out. I’m not backing away from Anthony.” Mel was trying very hard not to believe the warnings she kept getting, she wanted to follow her heart and her heart screamed for Anthony but she couldn’t ignore the warnings either. As much as she hated it they were getting through to her brain and she had to consider them. Could all of this really be one big mistake?