Four.

My wolf pushed the pack away, urging them to leave while we didn’t loosen our grip on Adam. He didn’t know how much danger he was actually in as he squirmed underneath me and the wolves began to retreat like we told them to. The dirt bike came flying over to us, and finally I dropped the useless being in my jaws, glad he didn’t try to fight back and only whined, not moving.

Squaring off against the bike – the gun didn’t deter me.

“What the fuck?” The man leapt of the bike, and I say man because even though Jay and the others had to be around my own age, he was pushing thirty and it wasn’t just hard farm work that defined his arms. Leanna and I used to drool over men like him, in magazines and movies. His blue eyes were set on challenging my own and an unfamiliar feeling of disappointment came over me seeing the pretty redheaded girl that had sat behind him with the gun.

“Do we shoot it?” She asked, slipping off the vehicle she kept close to his side and the trio all shifted to speak to him.

“Don’t Taylor, she’s a shifter. Her name is Daisy.” Jay spoke up, the scents of his blood made me want to look and inspect the damage, but I wasn’t going to give this new guy the satisfaction of breaking his gaze.

One of us was going to have to give in and it wasn’t going to be me.

“A shifter?” I could see his nose flare as he inhaled my scent, a tiny smirk appearing on the corner of his lips. “I’ll ask again, what the fuck?”

“Cody, we found her a few days ago and followed her. We got the cattle back in the paddock and came back out, she’s alone.” Connor spoke this time and I knew who top dog was around here.

“Shift!”

His command was useless, instead my ears went flat and I revealed my teeth while my body was vibrating with the rumble of growls.

“I said SHIFT!”

The four shifters all stepped back from Cody and behind the pack weren’t impressed with the distance I had forced between us. I had no idea how my wolf was doing that and I’d have to wait until later to find out.

“Fine, you want to do this the old fashioned way?” He pulled off his sweater, and jeans, turning to the girl he handed her his stuff before shifting into a rather large black wolf. His own snarl quickly appeared as he snapped his jaws towards me.

My wolf was furious, the challenge clearly received and we began to circle each other, our tails high and proud behind us as we eyed each other up. He was strong, fit and there was little weakness to be found.

In all, it would be a fair fight.

“Cody, I don’t think that this is a good idea.” Jay went to stand in front of the girl and she glued herself to his side while the other two kept close to them. Was that his mate?

Mate.

The thought had my wolf seeing red and she made the first move, charging towards Cody - we went in for the tackle. He slipped up slightly, not expecting me to be as heavy as I was and my teeth snapped down on his leg.

I wasn’t going to fight like a wolf, they had no right to experience my mercy and I was out for blood.

On we wrestled; neither of us getting a clear advantage or lead and the sounds of our growls filled the night. My pack cried out for me and I couldn’t answer, not giving into the distraction they provided and things got brutal. As we began to tire our bites got nastier, he was as frustrated as I was from the lack of submission. He may have been built well, but he wasn’t in my league of fitness. Hours of wrestling with the pack and spending days stalking the herds gave me better concentration, my stamina able to endure more than his and as the four shifters saw me starting to come out the victor, the bitch shot me.