18 • I'll Come Home

Two days

Two days.

Two entire days had passed since that horrendous night and barely a word has been spoken since.

Eva was only more withdrawn than ever, always on the edge and tensed. She no longer seemed to have the energy to mouth off at Jessalyn or Terrence, simply choosing to turn a deaf ear to their attempts at conversations and keeping to herself.

Her mum seemed to be functioning like a robot — with blank eyes and barely any words. Eva couldn't place it, or describe it, but something about her mother seemed... off. Like some major change had happened that Eva didn't know about and she was scared of it.

"I don't want to go to school today." Eva said bluntly though there was a trace of pleading in her voice.

"That's what you told me yesterday." Ma replied tonelessly as she packed Eva's lunchbox.

"Well —"

"And the day before too," she continued, turning around and Eva noticed her mother wince before gently rubbing her broken arm which was now in a cast. "And my answer is still the same; no."

"Why?" Eva demanded, angry now. She hated it more than ever to go to the wretched place. She wanted to stay cooped up in her room, under her sheets. She didn't want to see Jessalyn's stupid smile or Terrence's annoying grin. She loathed how happy and carefree they were.

"Drop it!" her mum yelled and Eva recoiled, taking many steps backward, an unwelcome coldness washing through her insides. Ma's eyes widened as if she was shocked with herself for raising her voice in that manner.

Eva's eyes seemed to instantly pool with tears and she rubbed at them furiously —she didn't want to cry. She hated it. Pa had always said he didn't like it when ma cried; he'd always said it was so weak of her.

And Eva didn't want to be weak.

"I-I'm so sorry... Eva, I didn't mean to —"

To Eva's immense relief, Benjie arrived just then, the crunchy noise of tyres against the gravel marking his presence.

She grabbed her lunchbox, stuffed it into her bag and fled out of the house. Benjie, as always, was holding the door of the car open for her. She got into the vehicle eagerly for the first time ever since she began attending the stupid school.

---

   "Here," Terrence shoved a lollipop in Eva's face as she was about to enter the classroom and she came to an abrupt stop, the action catching her completely off guard.

   Terrence seemed to notice what he'd done because his face broke into an apologetic smile, "sorry, didn't mean to scare you."

   "I wasn't scared," she muttered. She'd successfully avoided replying to anything he or Jessalyn said for the past two days but somehow she couldn't let this one pass. She needed him to know that she wasn't scared so easily.