Decisions

The next day a messenger arrived from the war, asking for Porthos. He had been staying with Elodie where she lived, right in the heart of Paris.
Porthos met the messenger at the Garrison.
"General, they've asked that you return to the war as a matter of urgency. The leave you were given is over and now you must return to your men. You have three days in which to sort yourself and return." Once the messenger had left, Porthos made his way up to Aramis' room where Athos, D'Artagnan and the Queen were. Aramis was awake but still hurting. Grimaud had injured him badly. He would need time to heal. Porthos knew he couldn't leave at a time like this. Anne was leaving the room as Porthos entered, saying she had a council meeting to go to, and would explain to them about Aramis' absence.
"Your Majesty," Porthos said and bowed as he passed her.
"Athos, D'Artagnan, need to talk to you."
"What's going on?" Asked the Gascon.
"I've just been told the leave I was granted is finished and I have to return. But I can't leave Aramis when he's like this."
"Has that been two weeks already?" D'Artagnan asked.
"Sorry it wasn't put to better use," said Athos. "Being held prisoner and killing was what you came back to Paris to take a break from. I'm sorry I ruined that for you."
"Hey, it's not your fault. It's Grimaud's," Porthos replied. The three thought about how they could go about extending the General's leave when Athos came up with a solution.
"Get a written letter from the Queen. If she gives you, say another week, then you can stay as he recovers. They won't reject her seal. Come on. Me and you will talk to her after her council meeting."
"OK," Porthos said. He thought about what Athos had suggested. It was the right thing to do. Ask the Queen. She would understand why Porthos had to stay at the palace.

An hour later and the Musketeers were informed that Anne was back in her quarters as the council meeting had reached its conclusion. Athos and Porthos told D'Artagnan to return to give the cadets a training session. Athos crouched down beside Aramis.
"Hey brother. We're going to speak to the Queen. We'll be back soon."
"OK," Aramis said in return. "Can you... Can you see if my son... If the Dauphin can visit me?"
"Yes OK," Athos replied and he, Porthos and D'Artagnan left the room. They passed Michel on the way.
Michel entered Aramis' room.
"How are you today, Aramis?"
"Better, yeah." Aramis tried to sit up, but was struggling to do so. Michel dropped his equipment and rushed to help him.
"Lie down," Michel instructed.
"No, I must-" Aramis began frantically before the physician cut him off.
"Aramis, you are very ill. You must take time to heal yourself. No one is expecting you to rush quickly into anything."
"Please, I need to go," Aramis continued. Michel firmly pushed down on Aramis' good shoulder and back into the bed. Aramis winced.
"I know you want to go back to normal, but see now how much you're hurting? You're my patient and whilst you're under my care, you will do as I say. I will have you put under guard." Aramis' eyes widened. "It's for the best, Aramis, you'll see. Now I will wait with you until Athos returns and I will discuss it with him. Now rest." Michel sunk into the seat, keeping a watchful eye on the wounded soldier.

Whilst Aramis was being watched by the physician, Athos and Porthos had made thier way to Anne's rooms. Athos knocked on the door and the two Musketeers entered the room. Anne received the two of them.
"Athos, Porthos, is there something I can help you with?"
"Porthos has been asked to return to the front again as the time he had for his leave is now up. He doesn't want to leave Aramis as he is and, Your Majesty, I completely agree."
"Yes, I suppose I would also concur."
"Our thought if hat if you were able to write a letter to the front, they wouldn't dismiss your seal."
"OK, I'll do that for you. I'll give you another two weeks. Michel assures me Aramis should be mostly recovered in less than that. After this, you must return."
"Of course Your Majesty." Porthos left the Queen knowing she would get someone to send it on once she'd written it. Porthos was relieved and overjoyed that he'd been given more time with the Musketeers. Had he gone in the next three days, he would not have been entirely focused on helping his men and only anticipate news on Aramis from Paris.