Borderline Personality Disorder

My first diagnosis was in 2011. I was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. (A mental health problem.) I had suffered with self harm, suicidal thoughts, feelings of hopelessness and all the other things that come with BPD.

I remember sitting in the doctors office as he told me I have Borderline Personality Disorder. Finally I had an answer, but, now I had even more questions. What is Borderline Personality Disorder, what help is available, how is it treated, what is the success rate of treatment? All of these questions and more were racing through my mind. I could feel the walls closing in on me, the air getting thicker with each breath I struggled to take, then I was coming round on the floor. I had passed out. No this isn't a symptom of BPD, but it is a reaction to shocking news. What was my life going to be like now?.

The next step was getting the information. The doctor told me I would be on medication for a very long time. Depending on what treatment I had and how I respond, if I am one of the lucky ones. The answers to these would help determine if I would be on medication for the rest of my life.

I would need therapy and I was told there was a long waiting list. In 2016, 5 years after my diagnosis and I am still waiting for therapy. I see a psychiatrist every 3 months if I am lucky. I still don't have a care plan for when I am in crisis, no regular CPN (Community Psychiatric Nurse), no regular appointments. I am still waiting for all of this to be sorted. Maybe one day it will be.