“I have already explained to your parents that you will be trained in the magical arts at Hogwarts,” McGonagall says, “it’s up to them and you to decide if you wish to attend or not.”

“You don’t have to, Al,” Mum says comfortingly, “it’s a boarding school, so you’ll be away from us all, from all the boys, for a lot of the time.”

I think of my brothers. How most of them push me around and don’t let me play soccer because I’m a girl.

“I want to go,” I say firmly. Mum and Dad exchange a glance over my head.

“Are you sure?” Dad asks, “you know you’re quite shy and get homesick easily.”

“I have to learn to be independent,” I say bravely, “and I can’t do that with fourteen brothers!”

“Fourteen?” McGonagall asks, raising her eyebrows in surprise, “and you’re the youngest?”

“Youngest and only girl,” Mum sighs, “it’s hard.”

“Mum,” I groan, blushing. She gives me the “Well? It is!” look and I roll my eyes.

“Well, if that’s your decision,” McGonagall hands me a letter. I open it and find a list of equipment I need and a train ticket.

“Platform nine and three quarters?” I ask.

“Someone will be there to escort you onto the platform,” McGonagall says.

“Where can we get all this stuff?” I ask, “I don’t know anywhere that sells potions or wands.”

“I will take you to Diagon Alley,” McGonagall says, “you will find everything you need there.”

I look up at Mum and Dad.

“I definitely want to go,” I tell them. Mum nods, looking tearful.

“Well, term starts in two days,” McGonagall says, “we should go to Diagon Alley now. I have to see some other families.”

“Alright, one second,” Mum says, walking over to the back door, “TY!”

Tyler comes jogging up, covered in mud.

“Yeah?” he pants.

“We’re going out for a while,” Mum says, “half an hour more, then bring everyone back inside and make sure they all shower. And don’t you dare get mud on the carpet!”

“Righto,” Tyler says, jogging off again.

“Do you have a car?” McGonagall asks Dad.

“Of course,” he says, looking as if she’s insane.

“I’ve never bothered,” she says, “lots of wizarding families do, they find it easier to blend in, but I just apparate.”

“What?” I ask. She ignores me as Dad leads the way to the van. I climb in and sit right at the back. There’re four rows, each with three seats, so when the whole family is in here we don’t all get a seatbelt and it’s very squishy.

“Where exactly are we going?” Dad asks, sounding slightly nervous. McGonagall is looking as if she doesn’t trust the car at all.

“East London,” she says, gripping the arm rest tightly. I sit back in my seat and look down the list of things I need.

“What are broomsticks used for?” I ask, “and why can’t first years have them?”

“They’re used for flying,” McGonagall answers, “mainly Quidditch. And first years can’t have them because most of them can’t fly.”