{Five}

Just keep swimming

-Dory

-Luke-

I was at my new locker grabbing my books for second period when my phone went off. I sighed and furrowed my eyebrows when a picture of my mum doing the dab popped up on the screen. I sighed and answered the call.

"Mum, I'm at school right now. Is this important?" I asked.

"I have something to tell you, but first you have to promise not to hate me." She replied. I closed my locker and walked down the hall.

"Okay, I promise. What happened?"

"Okay, so right after school ends you're gonna get a phone call." She started.

"And who is going to be calling me?" I was getting suspicious by now, hoping that it wasn't one of those cougars back in Wisconsin.

"Pamela." I squeezed my eyes shut and groaned.

"Mum, why in the world would you give grams my number?" I asked.

"Because, I didn't want to talk to her, but your dad insisted. Anyways, please don't hate me." I sighed and rubbed my forehead.

"I don't hate you. Listen, I'm on my way to class, I should go now." I said.

"Alright. Bye honey! Oh, we're going out to dinner tonight at a really cool restaurant I found, so make sure you don't make any plans."

"Got it, bye." I ended the call and looked up to see Maggie at her locker. I smirked and made a beeline towards her, waiting until she closed her locker so she could see me.

I furrowed my eyebrows when I heard sniffling. "Are you crying?" I asked. I heard a bang before hearing, "Ow."

    Maggie stepped back to face me as she rubbed the spot on her head she hit. Her eyes were slightly red and there were a few tear stains on her cheek.

"You don't just sneak up on people like that! What are you doing here?" She asked, looking around. I crossed my arms and tilted my head.

"Well, I'm here for my education. Just like everyone else at this school is." I joked. She rolled her eyes and scowled at me.

"I meant here. As in right beside me and talking to me." She gestured to where I was standing and rested her hands on her hips.

"What? Is it illegal to speak with a pretty girl now in days? 'Cause if that's a case I think I'll be getting arrested soon." Maggie snorted and closed her locker after grabbing some books.

"Really? You had to go there? That kind of stuff doesn't work on me." She huffed and started walking away. I sighed and walked beside her.

"Okay fine. How about this? Why oh why has little miss Maggie been crying?" She stopped walking and looked at me in shock. "What makes you think I've been crying?" She asked.

"Well, first your eyes are red and there are tear stains on your cheeks. You have really nice cheekbones by the way. Second, your reaction just right now was the full blow out." I tilted my chin up slightly.

"So tell me. Why have you been crying?" I asked once again. She ignored me and continued walking. I quirked an eyebrow and followed her.

"So you're just gonna ignore me now?" With a sigh, Maggie stopped walking again and turned to face me.

"I don't get it. Why are you here talking to me and worrying about me when you could hang out with any other person at this school? Why are you nice to me when other people here hate my guts?" I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out. After awhile of stuttering, I bit my lip and leaned down to whisper in her ear.