Sixteen: Stay

"The sadness will last forever." 

― Vincent van Gogh   

   "Hand me the  paper," Mr Johnson said with an edge to his voice. "Mr  Stints."

   Zoey's eyes widened at me, and I dumbly looked up at him. "We were just checking each other's answers," I stated. "Right, Zoey?"

   She looked back at me and smiled. "Yeah. You know, we both want to make sure our answers are correct."

   "Uh-hm," Mr Johnson said unconvinced, "Well, I'm sure you two can make sure your answers are correct in detention, and proof read your essays on why it's shameful to cheat in class. Sound good?"

   Everyone in class laughed, but Zoey and I just looked at each other smiling. "Yeah, got it," I said, giving him an okay sign. "After school, right?"

   Mr Johnson shrugged. "It doesn't matter. I stay after school too."

   Zoey then looked a little scared. "Okay, after school," she said quietly.

:: :: :: 

   Zoey and I talked for a real long time. We were the only ones in the Geometry room.

   I think we both forgot that we were in detention. But in the beginning it hadn't started off that way. 

   For one, Mr Johnson had been in the room. He was reading a book, and didn't acknowledge me nor Zoey. 

   On the blackboard it read:

   No talking.

   You may read, finish homework from other classes, or do nothing.

   Zoey fidgeted slightly in her seat. She didn't look at me. After ten minutes of just staring into space, she took out a book from her bag. I did nothing. 

   Eventually Mr Johnson left the room to pick up papers from the printer, or-- fuck, I forgot. But anyway, Zoey and I were finally alone. Therefore, a conversation needed to be started.

   "So," I said, "I'm sorry about getting you detention."

   She looked up from her book. "Oh," she said with a smile, "It's all right. It's not like I had any plans or anything..."

   "Yeah, I really didn't either."

   "But I thought you had football practice. You play football, right?"

   I shrugged this time. "Yeah, but I kinda risked missing practice, because I thought it'd be cool, to...y'know..."

   Not finishing my sentence, I avoided making eye contact with Zoey. For some effing reason, I didn't want to tell her what I'd been thinking, or wanting to say.

   She tried to play it off as if she weren't curious on why I decided to miss practice, and hightail it into detention. But her curiosity got the best of her, because she shut her book and put it face down on the desk. "Why did you, out of all people, decide to skip football practice?"

   "Because I wanted to have a reason to talk to you." I looked at her. "And I don't think you like me, and I just wanted to try and y'know, talk to you."

   She blushed. 

   She may've been surprised.

   "You're not serious."