~5~

Hermione

Hermione had been trying to find the right time to ask Ron to Slughorn's Christmas party. She wasn't even sure he would want to go with her.

She tried bringing up the conversation multiple times, but the subject would always change.

One afternoon in early November Hermione and Ron were left alone in the library together. Harry was at one of his lessons with Dumbledore.

"What's the point of learning about bloody dementors anyway? We already know all about them." Ron was getting frustrated with the Defense Against the Dark Arts essay Snape had them writing.

"Yes, but Snape doesn't know that, Harry taught us about Patronuses." Hermione said.

Ron looked at Hermione for a minute, but then started writing again.

"There's something I've been meaning to ask you, Ron." Hermione said as she watched him write.

"What is it?" He looked at Hermione with a sense of worry in his eye.

"Well Professor Slughorn is going to be hosting a Christmas party for all the members of the Slug Club and we are meant to bring guests, so I was hoping you would want to come with me?..." Hermione trailed off. She didn't know why, but she was very nervous to ask Ron.

He looked surprised by her question. "Wait, you want me to go to the party with you?"

"Yes, but only if you want to go. I know you're not a fan of the Slug Club, but I thought it would be fun." Hermione rambled on.

Ron's mouth formed into a grin. "What time?"

****

Ron

The next couple of weeks were great. There was no bickering or big fights between Ron and Hermione like there usually were. Hermione asking Ron to the Christmas party really settled things.

Ron and Harry spent a lot of time practicing for the big Gryffindor vs. Slytherin match on Saturday.

Ron was worried about the match, nervous that he wouldn't do good. It didn't help that Malfoy and half the school were chanting "Weasley is our king" every time they passed Ron in the hallway.

He was dreading every step he took closer to the great hall and facing all those people. Ron knew that everyone only thought he was on the team because he was Harry's best friend. And sometimes, Ron though the same thing.

He was honestly thinking about quitting the team for a few weeks now, practices had been going terrible. Ron sorted it out in his head, after this match, he would quit the team, it would be best for everyone.

When he walked into the hall, Ron saw half of the school dressed in red and gold, and the other half in green and silver. Most of the green and silver dressed kids were staring him down until he reached the spot where he, Harry and Hermione sat at the Gryffindor table.

"That's it," Ron said "after this match I'm quitting the team."

"What?" Harry and Hermione said at the same time.

"I'm going to quit the team, I'm not good enough. You saw me at practice Harry."

"I wouldn't quit just yet." Harry said with a mischievous smirk on his face. He was twisting the cap onto a small flask and tucking it inside his robes.

"Harry what is that?" Hermione asked pointing to the flask.

"What?" Harry was pretending he didn't know what Hermione was talking about.