Chapter 11

"'He's cracking up.'" That's how one veteran police officer described Sheriff Taylor's increasingly irrational behavior, He's pulling almost all the officers off of the day shift and making them work nights without the shift differential, which has caused a clash with the police union. The Sheriff has good reason to act this way. The 'Vampire Murders,' as they are called in town, have all taken place at night. 'He's clueless' one officer said and another referred to him as 'an idiot.' One member of the force said, 'Maybe that concussion in high school warped his brain.'  

"The people of this town are becoming more and more frustrated with the pace of the investigation. 'He doesn't do anything. He just struts around like he's the almighty but he's a joke.' Another said, 'Our kids aren't safe and we're not safe.' One citizen said this all goes back to his days as the high school quarterback. 'I can still see that pathetic look he had on his face after the championship game. Red eyes and confused like he was putting on a show to make everyone forget that we all missed the best chance for a championship in thirty years. He has that same stupid look every time I see him.' Many residents have begun to leave town or are considering leaving. Some until the case is solved and for others forever.  

"On top of all of this is the sad case of Dr. Albert, the coroner, who has faithfully served this community for over twenty years. Despite this, Sheriff Taylor launched a full scale attack on his character by naming him a 'person of interest.' He is now suing the county and the police department for harassment and defamation of character. Based on the poor job Sheriff Taylor has done on this investigation, he will most likely win his case and score a large settlement that the taxpayers will be responsible for. No matter the monetary gain he may achieve, he will never regain his standing in the community. 

It is safe to say that the town has zero confidence in the leadership and direction of the police department and the overwhelming sentiment is for someone else, anyone else, to take charge of the investigation. "  

I throw the newspaper on my desk, stand up and pace the room. I've been working since noon yesterday. I've worked two shifts in a row, and this is the thanks I get. I stick my hand in my pocket and throw two pills down. If it weren't for the meds I'd never be able to handle the stress of these murders. I have to get this town under control. It's bad enough what's happening, and Glenn is making it worse. All he is doing is getting everyone wound up.  

The clock says it's 5:00 pm. I leave the office and head to Sally's Diner. Glenn eats there three times a day always at the same time. No wonder he's such a fat tub. I go into the restaurant. It's been here for as long as I've been alive and has never had a redecoration. It has gone from in style to out of style and is now retro cool. There is a counter top with red swivel bar stools. It has an open kitchen where Dawn, Sally's daughter, cooks the food, busses, takes the orders and waits the tables. She grew up in the diner and has been working in it ever since she was a kid. I went to high school with her. After school and on weekends, she'd be at the restaurant working. The day we graduated, she showed up for the ceremony with a hairnet on, got her diploma, walked off the stage, got in her car and went back to work a shift. She's amazing and runs the place almost all day until her husband comes in and takes over for the night shift.  

In the diner, Dawn yells out to me from behind the counter, "Sheriff, here for some grub?" 

"No, I'm here to see Glenn." 

She laughs and points over to the last booth against the wall. I tip my hat and walk down the line, past several empty booths and stand in front of Glenn. He's looking out the window and cramming a french fry into his mouth. His laptop sits in front of him with a briefcase next to it, papers sticking out the top and bottom. I walk past him and throw a few coins in the jukebox to cover up our conversation.