14

Shan called me last night after I finish helping mum with the dishes. Apparently, there's a bonfire on the beach tonight, and her boyfriend Niall is dragging her along so would I please go and keep her company? I agree, of course. Dad lectures me about under-age drinking, using protection and coming home at a reasonable time. I remind them I'm eighteen in two weeks so I'm aware of alcohol.

"Be careful, love." Mum says as a black 4x4 pulls up outside.

"Mum, we lived in London. I'm sure I can handle a few hours on the beach in a sleepy, out of the way village." I roll my eyes. Her eyes darken slightly, and she touches my shoulder.

"Just because you're in a sleepy village, doesn't mean it's any less dangerous than a big city." I know there's a story behind her words, and of course I'm curious, but I know now isn't the time to talk about it. Instead, I nod, smile and kiss her cheek. I walk down the path and turn back to wave as Shan opens the back door of the car for me, and Mum is gazing after me with her hand on the cheek I just kissed. I raise a hand in goodbye and get in. As we pull away, she waves goodbye and shuts the door.

"So that took a while." Shan raises her eyebrows questioningly.

"Reminding me about under-age drinking," I grumble.

"You aren't eighteen yet?" Niall turns from the front seat.

"Nope. Two weeks." I sigh. "I'm an August baby."

"No alcohol for the little under-age girl then!" He fist bumps Louis.

"This 'little under-age girl' is a city girl who could probably drink your sorry ass under the table," I retort. Shan giggles next to me.

"I'm not challenging a girl to a drinking contest," Niall laughs.

"What's the matter, scared?" I lean forward slightly.

"Not at all. But you're the newbie round here, and I wouldn't want you showing yourself up."

"Louis?" Shan asks. "Up for it?"

"Na, same as Niall. Gotta give her a chance to get used to this little village," he replies.

"Fine." She sits back, and we share a glance.

"Plus she's under-age, and I don't wanna get in trouble if she ruins her favourite shoes or something."

"Two weeks!" I slap a hand against the back seat as he pulls up near the beach. The party has already started.

"I'll make you a deal," Louis says as he opens the door for me and helps me out. "When you turn eighteen, we'll have this drinking competition. Because then you're an adult and responsible for your own actions." I look up into his gorgeous eyes, and he raises a brow. My breath rises and I nod.

"You have yourself a deal." I reply, stepping away from him as he smiles, showing his dimple. My heart flutters slightly, and I follow Shan down to the beach, wondering what on Earth I'm doing being so attracted to such a cocky guy.