Twenty-Three

"What a bitch!"

"If we could use our indoor voices, that would be great." I whisper.

I understood why Coraline would be pissed once I told her that Kylie had pretended that she had never existed. However, they were still in floor Zero and hungry as always. As much as I thought I probably taste bitter, I don't think they care much.

"Right, sorry." She apologizes briefly, and I shrug.

"So, and I'm just wondering here, if you somehow got out of these chains, could you leave floor Zero?" I ask. The boy that Kylie switched Cora out for was grabbed by one of them, so he never left the floor.

"I mean, I have no idea how long I've been here, and just like you, I have a time limit too. So if I did leave this floor, I'd probably turn to dust, even though my time limit is three years."

Okay, I was a little jealous of how lengthy her time limit was, I can't lie.

"It hasn't been three years yet. You said you were Chosen right before you guys came into floor Zero. When Kylie came out of this floor, it had been a few months. That was about a year ago. I seriously suck at math, but I'm sure you won't disappear once you leave this floor. You'll still have time, and then you can leave with us when we get out of here!" I say, pretty excited with my plan.

"Sounds great, but you forgot about one thing. You're the only person here."

"I'm here." The voice startles both of us, and I feel my whole body freeze before slowly turning around and facing the owner of the voice.

"Shawn told me you would be down here. I was a little more than a little concerned on why you would come here, to be honest. You've got guts, and if you weren't Shawn's, I would probably take you out for dinner myself."

I gulp before speaking, making sure there's enough distance between me and this guy.

"Who are you?" I ask, although I know the answer already.

"Connor. I was on the road trip with Shawn, but looks like I'm stuck here now." He replies, and I can't help but stare at his features. This guy was so gorgeous it was unreal.

As I open my mouth he takes a step forward, causing me to shuffle back a bit.

"No need to be scared, I don't bite." He says, laughing loudly.

That's actually what I was afraid of.

"So, how do you know Shawn?" I ask, and he shrugs.

"Me and him played football together in high school, no biggie." He spits the lie out, and I nod my head.

Shawn didn't play football.

"Okay, well you can go ahead and tell Shawn that I'm fine, and I'll be back soon." I say, backing up a little more until I notice that I was out of room, and against the wall. I turn to look at Coraline briefly and watch her horrified facial expression. Both of us knew that if he put one finger on me I would be done for. He could easily disappear with me at hand, and finish the work somewhere else.

"I'd rather you come back with me, just so he knows you're safe for sure." He says, and I feel all the blood leave my face when I see him raise his arm.

"Stop being so scared, I told you, I don't bite." He says once again, a devious smile on his face. He was enjoying all of this.

Just as his hand is about to touch my arm, a new voice appears, causing both of us to freeze.

"Nora!"

I watch as "Connor" makes eye contact with me once more, before completely disappearing.

Although I was grateful he was gone, I knew the only way he would disappear was.

"Mr.Rush." Cora whispers, her eyes wide.

"You think you can hide? Sarah told me you would be down here, and although you're supposed to be a gone tomorrow, I don't think I can wait that long!" He yells, his threatening words echoing throughout the floor.

Tomorrow?

That's when I realized that time moved much faster out of floor Zero. I've been here for hours, but it's actually been about 12-13 days.

When I turn to look back at Cora, I notice she was hugging a book now, more scared now than when I was almost eaten alive a moment ago.

"Hug that book any tighter and it'll turn to dust." I whisper, trying to calm myself down. She releases her grip and as she starts to put it behind her, I read the title.

The Secret Garden.

Oh. My. God.

Never in my life could I have more stupid. Here we were, in a library, and I was confused on what Mother Reenie's hint was.

"You have the key!" I whisper harshly, and Cora looks at me, clearly confused.

"What are you talking about?" She asks, and I point to where the book was now hidden.

"Oh, this is the dupe book, I swear on it. I hid the real one somewhere else in this floor." She says, even opening the book to show me nothing but pages and pages.

"Nora!" Mr.Rush's voice was louder and much clearer, which meant he was getting closer.

I noticed that a little too late though, because before I knew it he was turning a corner, and we made eye contact. I could see the fire in his eyes. This guy was pissed.

I find myself holding my breath and beginning to back away. Coraline was pretty lucky, because Mr.Rush was so furious he didn't even recognize she was here.

"Oh, hey Mr.Rush! I never thought I would see you here, honestly. How are the kids?" I ask. If I was going to be ashed, might as well be a little sassy.

That's when the craziest thing happens. When I say crazy, I mean solidly the most eyes widening type of thing ever.

Mr.Rush starts to run towards me, and Coraline trips him.

At first, I thought it would be good for me, since I would have a few more moments to run away. But I found my jaw dropping to the floor when in the blink of an eye, Mr.Rush was chained and Coraline was standing, completely unrestrained.

Her eyes widen and I watch as her grin grows huge, before coming back to reality as Mr.Rush starts to get up.

"Run!"

A/N

lol school started on Wednesday and I highkey want to die I regret taking so many advanced classes kill me