The Ego

Meanwhile it was getting dark and Sharon had taken a longer route to reach her house. She was stuck in the traffic block due to some accident and now it was 6:30 pm. Sharon stood alone leaning on the bonnet of her car trying to reach her friends and also a mechanic to change the flattened tyre.

"Oh god! Maine yahi rastha kyun chuna?!"

But Rey wasn't picking up her phone and she knew Simmi was busy DJing a party in the Suburbans. Calling Rinni seemed useless and Vicky and Nil were not attending her phone call either. Sanjeev was on honeymoon and her parents were in London.

"Akele ho?" Sharon jumped at the voice from behind her. Two middle aged Bengali workers smirked at her. Their clothes were shabby as well as their faces were ugly. Even though they weren't much well built, they were a lot taller than Sharon.

"Aye mind your own business and leave me alone!" Sharon warned them but they didn't move.

"Pareshaan lag rahi hein chori!" The first guy opinioned.

"Madad chaahiye kya chori?" the second guy asked her.

"Get lost both of you! Nahi chaahiye tumhaare help! Yahaan se chale jaao!" Sharon shouted at them but still they didn't budge.

The first guy then slowly walked towards her and sat on the hood of the car which made her move a little back.

"Thak gayi hein chori! Thodi der baiththen! Pair theekh bhi jo karaani hein!"

"What the hell! Get away from my car! Warna mein police ko bulaaungi! Don't test me! Tum log nahi jaanthe mein kiski beti hun!" This time Sharon's voice showed strains of nervousness in the tone of threatening.

The same time in the auditorium...

Rey returned with a white frock which seemed like a fairy's dress. But as he stepped down the stairs his eyes went to Kria who was removing her white shirt to reveal the flowery b-cup and slipped and twisted his ankle.

"Ouch!"

Kria suddenly put her shirt back on and ran near where he fell.

"Rey? Aap theek toh hai? Kya huyi? Dard ho rahi hein kya? Kahaan chot lagi hein? Agar major injury hein to hospital le jane padenge, lekin hum toh yahaan atke hein! Kaise nikale?" Kria began nervously babbling.

"Kria! Kria! Mein theek hun! Tum bas yeh pehno aur apne bheege kapdom ko woh chairs par sookhne daal do. Mein fan chaalu kartha hun." Rey handed her the frock which she took and tried to assess whether it would fit or not.

"Dekho Kria, auditorium se bahar nikalne ka ek aur tarika hein! Vent shaft. Wahaan se cafeteria par utar sakthe hein. Wahan se college door entrance ki side waali khidki se car parking area nikal sakthe hein."

"Toh aapne yeh pehle kyun nahi bataaya?"

"Kyunki tumne poocha nahi!"

"Lekin ab mein Mom ko kya jawaab doongi?"

"Tum apni mom se ithna kyun darthe ho?"

"Arre aapko pata nahi! Woh bilkul Rani Laxmibai hein! Mein toh kya, unke baare mein jaanne waale sabhi unse darthe hein."

"Toh woh kya karthi hein?"

"She's a lawyer, fights political wars in court aur phir ghar mein aakar meri waat lagaathi hein!" Kria described acting it out with widened eyes. Rey smiled.

"Aur agar unhein meri kapde bheeg jaane ke baare pata lag gaya toh poochegi! Phir khatarnak interrogation hoga aur agar meri munh se dance nikal gaya toh firse daant khaane padega aur fir college change!"

"Okay! Okay! Okay! So agar tum aaj apni ghar nahi jaa sakthi so why don't you stay at my place?"

"Chii!! No way!! Log kya kahenge?"

"Abhi tumhe apni Mom ke baare mein sochna chaahiye. Ki woh kya sochegi! Aur phir logon ko sochne keliye pehle tumhaare baare mein pata honi chaahiye na?!"

"Yeah! I guess aap sahi bol rahe hein! Par log aapke baarein mein toh bol sakthe hein na?" she asked.

"Huh! What's new?!" Rey said coolly and hopped on to the vent shaft entrance shocking her yet again.

Meanwhile on the road to Sharon's house...

"Sharon?" Sharon turned to the male voice she heard then. She saw the familiar face who was sitting on a bicycle with a simple bag on his back and hair as always let to fall down covering his forehead as well as the ears.

"Uhh!!" Sharon didn't know what to do. This was the same guy whom she had slapped a few hours back.

"Swayam. My name is Swayam."

"Haan Swayam!" Sharon didn't say anything or move from her place. She didn't have the guts to turn back and see whether the two freaks were gone or not. But surely she was half relieved as Swayam was their like an angel.

"Looks like you have a flat tyre!." He noticed her car and pointed out her trouble. She noticed he wasn't smiling like a goof at her anymore. Had she pissed him off that much?

"Uh what?"

"Your car's tyre needs to be changed!"

"Yeah!"

"Can I help?"

"What?"

"Do you need my help?"

"No! I-I m-mean yes!" Sharon looked back at her car's bonnet and relieved a sigh to find the guys gone.

Swayam took ten minutes to change the tyre and it was ready. All the time Sharon stood close to him not knowing much to be of help to him but surely was guiltily enjoying the protectiveness she felt around him. She was so much grateful to him but at the end, couldn't convey it just because of her ego.

"You don't have to say anything!" Swayam said this, smiled at her and got on his bicycle and rode away before she could say anything. But he knew she wasn't going to.