Chapter Three

Mike's P.O.V

Chief Hopper sat behind his desk and looked at the four of us.
"Okay, you biked all the way here. What do you have?"

"Last night I had an idea. We can use the supercom to talk to El. It's hard to explain but it worked. She told us she was in a cold, dark, scary place. We think it might be the Upside Down." He mulled it over, looking surprised. You could tell he was choosing his next words very carefully. "Okay. Normally I'd have a hard time believing you, but given everything that's happened. Talking to some girl over a radio is the least strangest thing that's happened." He paused a moment. "Can you show me?"

I prayed El would be strong enough to reply.

I pressed the button on the supercoms.
"El, if you're there we really need you to reply." Hopper never takes his eyes off the coms.

After a few tense minutes a staticy voice comes through.
"Mike...Help..." Hopper looked up at me in surprise.

"El, I need you to describe your surroundings. We're going to help you." He tells me to say this, I do.

"It's really, really dark. And wet, it's also cold. There's a whole bunch of plants that move."

Chief looks grim.
"She's in the Upside Down alright."

"We're gonna get you out El. Hold on okay?" There was no reply. "We need to get in there and save her!" I say desperately.

"Mike," Chief says softly, "We have to wait. We have to make a plan. There's no way we're just going to the Upside Down." All my friends nod in agreement with him.

"How much longer will we have to wait? El won't last much longer."
"It's hard to say Mike. We don't know what part of the Upside Down she's in, and nobody wants to go there." Chief replies.

I hoped she could last until we got there.

Another thing we've been doing while El has been missing is leaving her food.
There's a box in the woods we put food in. Mostly Eggos, but other things as well. I click on the supercoms.
"Hey El, have you been getting the food we leave you?" I wanted to know where the food went, why it always went missing.

"It's hard to get, but I do."

"We're about to drop off some more, alright?" I reply instantly.

"Okay." Was her short answer.

"C'mon guys, she's waiting for us." I bike quickly down the road.

Dustin's P.O.V
Mike's been really depressed since we lost El and he's lost a lot of weight. Sometimes I hear him crying at night. I really worry about him. He's not healthy.

I can't help but wonder if we'll ever find El. It's starting to seem more and more hopeless. I know Mike won't give up until we find her, I don't know if that's a good thing or not, but there's still a chance we could find her. Let's just hope we find her or we just might lose Mike too.

Mike's P.O.V

We'd brought lasagna, enchiladas, Eggos, peas, and cereal. I also added a pencil and a note that said, "I really like you El. I'll never give up looking for you. Stay strong. - Mike."

We closed the box and waited next to it for a while. When we opened it, everything was gone but the note. I picked it up and looked at it, on the back it said, "I trust you. Friends don't lie. - El."

Tears formed in my eyes.
"We have to get her out." I whispered softly.
We were going to Joyce, Will's mom, to see if she knew where we could find an entrance to the Upside Down.

She made supper for us, so while we explained everything to her, she dished out meatloaf for us.. What she replied with shocked us all.