Chapter One

Mike's P.O.V

Seven months. That's how long it has been. Seven months where I haven't been able to think of anything but her.
I have this fantasy of what our lives would be like. Eleven would move in, Hopper would adopt her, Nancy could be the sister she never had. Me? I would be El's boyfriend. We'd eat Eggos together and watch movies. We'd Stay up late just talking. Everything would be perfect. El and I were made for each other...and now she's gone.

Seven months ago she used her powers to defeat the Demogorgon. She knew what would happen to her if she did it.
I know she isn't dead, she's out there somewhere, I just need to figure out where...

My best friends, Dustin, Lucas and Will know everything that happened between El and I.
Lucas and Dustin say they knew all along how I felt about her, and Will's never met El, so he doesn't know how truly incredible she is.
The boys know just how depressed I've been since she went missing. Sometimes I cry myself to sleep. I can't concentrate in school either. I just want her back.

We search for her every single day.

Dustin, and I are currently sitting in science class. We had decided to take some extra science classes with Mr. Clarke to help us in our search.

Thankfully, today's the last day before Summer break. Dustin and I are passing notes as Mr. Clarke teaches. We're talking about our plans for searching.
After school we're going to meet up with Lucas and Will and keep looking. We haven't found anything so far, but I refuse to give up and the boys want to help me.

I think El might be in the Upside Down, but we don't know for sure. All we need is a clue.
The bell finally rings and school is out for Summer.

We get our books together and walk out, saying goodbye to Mr. Clarke on our way.
We meet Lucas and Will.
We get on our bikes and we're about to ride off when Troy comes up to us.

"Look." I say "If you came to tease us then scram."

"Don't worry. I haven't come to be rude. I just wanted to apologize. I know how hard things are for you lately. Being a Frogface isn't easy."

"Shut up, idiot." Dustin yells at him.

"Shut up, Toothless." Troy replies, mocking Dustin's voice.

"Let's just go guys." I say. We don't have to deal with this.

"Aw, is Frogface running off cause his girlfriend isn't here to protect him this time?"

His words stung. I didn't want to let it get to me, but it did.

I launched myself at Troy, knocking him to the ground. I punched his face as hard as I could over and over.

Dustin and Lucas pull me off him.
"Let it go, man. Before we get in trouble." Dustin mutters to me. His face is twisted like he's trying not to smile.

Troy is on the ground. Where I managed to land a hit is bruised, places I hit more than once are a bit bloody. Guilt and satisfaction course through me. I did that. I took control and really hurt him.

"Fine." I answer bitterly. We get on our bikes and ride away.

When we're far enough away Dustin tells us all to stop.

"That was freaking awesome!"

"Thanks." I say distractedly. My brain is caught thinking about a certain someone.

I miss El. I miss everything about her. Her smile, her face, her personality. She made me feel complete.
We'd never have found Will without her. She just made my whole world better. When I'd kissed her the sparks and fireworks were there and everything. She was and is my other half.

"You okay?" Will asks.

"No." I answer honestly.

"We'll find her Mike. We will." He comforts me.

We climb back on our bikes and head off again.

As we're biking we all start to talk amongst ourselves. Will didn't seem the same anymore. Sometimes he'd go quiet and stare off into the distance, and he'd suddenly start panicking as if he was having flashbacks. He refused to talk about it though.

We search for hours until it gets dark, then we decide to go home. Everyone is staying at my place tonight. We've had sleepovers basically every weekend since the battle and Eleven's disappearance. We alternate houses every time and this weekend, it's my house. Our parents allow it since we're best friends and know how important she is to me. They don't know we kissed though.

When we get back to my house we go into the basement where we've set up a fort. After we're done we go upstairs to eat. Mom made enchiladas, a favorite of mine, but tonight I can't eat. Memories of El keep floating around in my mind. The one that sticks out most is of our kiss.

My mom notices I'm not eating and asks to talk to me in private.
"Mike, you need to eat. You've lost so much weight already." It was true, I had lost a lot of weight.

"I know. I just can't stop thinking about her." I told her.

"Honey, I need to know, did something happen between you and El to make you like her so much?"

"No, we just went through a lot together. Without her we never would've found Will. I really liked her." I answered only half lying.

"You'll find her. I know you will."

"I hope you're right." I say softly

We returned to the table and I managed to eat most of my food. After dinner we go back into the basement. Suddenly an idea strikes me.