Chapter 1: Another Normal Day

Chapter 1

Another Normal Day

            The music started so suddenly, it woke me up in an instant. I sighed and reached up and pressed the snooze button on my alarm clock playing "Wake up Call" by Maroon 5. The second I hit the button, I had a weird feeling. That dream... I was in a control room? It felt so... real. Eh, whatever, it's not anything. I decided to ignore my odd dream, all I could think about was that it was finally Friday! 

            My mom yelled up the stairs, "Wake up Alexis! God, its seven! School starts at eight, let's go!"

            "Yes, mother!" I sighed. I reluctantly got out of bed and dragged myself to my bathroom. I brushed my long dark brown hair and put it up in a messy pony tail and washed my face. Although I don't think I'm all that great, I know I'm not unattractive, so I do try to acentuate my good features. My new thing is that I do liquid cat eyeliner. I think it may be the most attractive look on anyone's eye shape.  I put my contacts in and thought to myself, Will I ever be somebody?

            Now I had to go through finding something to wear. I tried on several outfits but nothing really looked amazing. I eventually decided I’ll go with something comfortable, but something that I felt confident it. I find a solid light purple sweater (my favortie color) and skinny jeans with a colorful scarf. The scarf was my favorite piece of winter apparel I own, my grandmother made it. I put on my black calf length boots and had breakfast.

           I asked Mom where Dad was but my father was already at work - big meeting! Sounds like fun…After I was done eating I put my hair down.

            Even though I’m a seventeen year old senior and have a license, I don’t have my own car, and since my high school was on the way to my mother's office, she took me to school. Mom got dressed and was ready to take me to school after a while. We entered her small Ford Focus and sat in the garage waiting for it to warm up.

            We drove down the street to pick up my friend that we carpool with. I’ve known Lambert since I was born; he’s like a brother to me. We parked in his driveway and he came out, stumbling on the icy path. He was carrying his weird lime green backpack and was wearing a heavy jacket with a red t-shirt and jeans. His hair was disheveled most likely because of the hat he held in his hand. I guess he was wearing it in the house... He has this thing where he wants to be like the "cool" people at school. I've told him to forget about them because they are all jerks, but he still strives to make the "popular girls" like him. I feel kind of bad for him because, I'm sorry to say, I don’t think he would be able to land a "popular girl". All they want is a "jock" to play around with and then dump for no reason, well except for the fact that she would be pregnant or something.

            Mom opened the trunk for him and he put his backpack in it and closed it. It didn’t close correctly so he opened it again and slammed it. He opened the door behind me and quickly sat down and rubbed his hands together. It was getting very cold now that it was two weeks until Christmas.

            "Thanks, Mrs. Granbury. God, it's cold out! Isn’t it Lex?" asked Lambert.

            “You’re telling me,” I say as I wrap his warm hands around my freezing ones.

             The rest of the ride to school was pretty quite. My mom put on some old music that Lambert and I weren’t too happy about.

            "Well, we're here, kids. Bye! Have a good day at school, Alexis!" she said as I got out of the small car.

            "Mom," I said painfully, "we are not kids!"

            "Fine, fine, whatever, bye, sweet heart," she said quickly.