Chapter Five

Monica comes to the diner right when my shift ends so we can turn my form in.
"Let me just change, then we can go." I start walking to the bathroom.
"Wait, no, stay in that. You look really good with that on. Just take off the apron off and let me cover that bruise up." She walks over to me, pulling makeup out of her purse. She sits me down at one of the booths and starts putting foundation on my face. A few minutes later, she stops and looks at me, then nods.
"That looks good. Let's go. Hopefully the line isn't too big." I quickly look at the napkin holder, looking at my reflection. It looks good, you can't even tell that I have makeup on my face. I stand up and look at Monica, smiling.
"Thanks, Monica." I take off my apron and set it on the counter, I call to Em, telling her I'm leaving, and walk out the door with Monica.
"So where do we turn the form in?" I ask, looking at Monica. She looks at me.
"They're doing it at Town Square. They'll take your picture and then the form and you can leave. It shouldn't take too long, unless the line is big." I nod and we walk in silence the rest of the way.
Town Square is busy, there is a pretty long line. I sigh and we go stand in it, waiting for my turn to come.
An hour later, I'm at the front of the line and walk to the lady behind the curtain.
"Hello, miss, I'll take your form and we can get started." The lady smiles kindly at me and take the form I hand to her. She quickly looks it over and nods, smiling.
"Arabella, what a beautiful name. Ok, just smile and look pretty. Shouldn't be too hard for you, you're absolutely gorgeous." I smile widely at the compliment and she quickly takes the picture. My eyes widen in surprise when she's done.
The lady laughs at my expression.
"It looks better if its natural. It doesn't look at beautiful if the smile is fake." I nod my head, understanding.
"Have you done that to everyone?" I ask, she smiles.
"Nope. Just you. Because you have a natural beauty that I want the Royal family to see." I smile, my cheeks flushing at the compliment.
"Thank you, miss..." I trail off, waiting for her name.
"My name is Mrs. Harper. But you can call me Julia." She smiles. "And your welcome." I laugh.
"Thank you again, Julia." I hop off the chair and start to walk to Monica when she says something.
"Your welcome, Hun. I think you'd make such a good Queen." She smiles and my eyes widen in surprise. She doesn't even know me.
"How could you think that? You barely know me." How could she think I would make a good Queen?
"Just the way you hold yourself. You don't think you are better than everyone. You've been through things, I can see it in your eyes and I can see the shadow of a bruise on your face." My eyes widen, the makeup must have rubbed off. "Don't worry, I won't tell anyone and you can't see it in the picture. But I know that you've been through things, you'll be able to understand what people go through, that's a quality a Queen needs." She smiles while I stand there, shocked.
"Thank you. For your support and not telling anyone about the bruise. Thank you so much." I smile and walk over to her, giving her a quick hug before walking away to Monica.
"Your welcome, sweetie." I hear her say before I get to Monica.
"All good?" She asks, I nod and we start walking home.
"So how was work?" I smile unconsciously, thinking about the boy.
"It was really good." I say, happily. Monica looks over at me, raising her eyebrow.
"I've never seen you this happy before, what happened?" My smile grows bigger.
"Well, I met this boy, he's funny, smart, kind, caring, and very cute." I sigh, happily. Monica's smile drops.
"Ara, if you're Chosen, you won't be able to see again, you know that right?" She looks at me sadly as I sigh again, nodding.
"Yeah, I know. It really sucks. But there's a chance, if I'm Chosen, that I'll fall in love with Prince Adrian. It could happen." Monica nods. We walk in silence for a while, before I speak.
"What do you think he's like? Prince Adrian?" Monica thinks for a minute.
"I think he'll be very polite and sweet. He is looking for a wife after all." I nod, though I don't believe her.
I think he will be rude, arrogant, and selfish. He's probably a spoiled brat, getting everything he wants handed to him on a silver platter.
"I hope he's like that." Is all I say. Monica looks at me and smiles.
"Do you know when you find out if you're Chosen or not?"
"I'll get a letter in three or four days saying if I'm Chosen or not."
~~~
I walk through the door after work.
     "Monica! I'm home!" I immediately hear a loud squeal and Monica comes running at me excitedly.
     "A letter came! And it's from the Palace!" I laugh at her excitement as my stomach twists.
    "It's probably the letter telling me that I didn't make it." Monica scoffs and rolls her eyes, shaking her head.
     "Sure. . ." She says, sarcastically. I laugh again and take the letter from her.
     I take a deep breath, staring at the letter that can change my life. Slowly, I start to open it and pull out the paper. I open the letter and read.

     Dear Arabella,
We are pleased to inform you that you have been Chosen to participate in Prince Adrian's Selection. We will be sending several people to inform you of the rules and to take hour measurements so your maids can start making your dresses. You will be flown to the castle in a week. You will have a formal send off before your flight and you will wear something nice with your state flower in your hair. You will be accompanied by two other Selected girls, Marley Green and Jessica Turner. Someone will be coming to your house tomorrow to tell you the rules and a lady will come the next day to take your measurements. Good luck, Lady Arabella. We are excited to meet you.
                Sincerely,
        King John and Queen Hadley

     I stare at the letter in shock. I made it, I was actually Chosen. I can feel Monica's excited gaze on me and look up at her, still shocked.
     "Well?" She asked, impatiently.
     "I. . . I was Chosen. I'm going to be in the Selection." Monica screams 
     "Ahh! I knew it! I just knew you'd be Chosen! This is amazing! You're going to live in the castle with the Royal family! You are so gonna be the Queen! I'm gonna be related to the Queen! Holy crap, this is so exciting!" She says that all in one breath, she was talking so fast.
     "Monica, breath." Monica inhales loudly, gaining her breath back.
     "Sorry, I'm just so happy for you!" She pulls me into a hug. "This is going to be so good for you. You'll get away from dad and you might fall in love. Ara, I'm so happy for you." Monica starts tearing up and I hug her tightly.
     "Thanks, Mon, I just can't believe this is actually happening. I'm half convinced this is all a dream." I laugh and look at the letter again, smiling. I won't have to see my dad ever again. I look back at Monica.
     "I'm going to go back to the diner and tell Em the news and that I have to quit. See you when I get back." I wave and walk to the door.
     "Ok, be safe! Love you!" She calls.
     "Love you!" I shout to get closing the door.
                           ~~~
      I walk into the diner and look for Em.
     "Em! You here? I need to talk to you!" I call, looking around.
     Em's head pops up from behind the counter.
     "What are you going back here, sweetie?" She asks, confused. I smile widely and walk to the counter.
     "I was Chosen." That's all I can say before Em starts squealing and running around the counter to hug me.
     "Ahh! I knew it! Sweetie, this is amazing! I'm so happy for you!" She smiles and hugs me again.
     "But this also means that I have to quit." I say, my smile dropping. Em's eyes fill with sadness, but she still smiles.
     "Yeah, I realize that. But it's for the best. You're going off to become Queen. It's understandable that you have to quit." I laugh quietly and hug her again.
     "I'm gonna miss you. You've always been like a mother to me. Will you still have a job for me when they kick me out?" I say, only half joking. Em laughs, shaking her head.
     "You know you'll always have a job here. But I doubt that they'll kick you out. I'm sure you'll become Queen." I laugh, shaking me head, but I don't say anything. I just hug her again, tightly.
     "Where's Raymond? I want to say goodbye." She pats my shoulder and walks with me to the kitchen.
     "Raymond? Our little girl is leaving us." Em says as we walk through the door. Raymond looks up from the grill, confused.
     "What do you mean she's leaving us?" I smile, sadly.
     "I was Chosen for the selection. I leave in a couple days." Raymond's eyes widen and he comes to hug me.
     "That's great, I knew you'd make it." I laugh and hug him tighter.
     "I'm gonna miss you guys so much." I say, tears filling my eyes. Em comes and hugs me as well.
     "We're gonna miss you too, sweetie. But this is a good thing. You're getting away from that rotten father of yours." I smile as she says that.
     "Yeah. Hopefully I'll never see him again." I pull out of the hug and look at both of them. They've been my family since my mother died, they've always been there for me. "I've got to get home. People are coming tomorrow, so I need to get to sleep. I love you guys, good bye." I hug them one more time and walk out the door. I walk home quickly, so I can go to bed. Once I get home I call to Monica.
     "Monica! I'm home! I'm gonna go to bed. Love you!" I walk up the stairs to my room. I faintly hear Monica yell 'goodnight' and 'love you' before I close the door. I smile and close the door.
     I lay in bed, thinking about the Selection. I wonder what the prince is actually going to be like. Hopefully he won't make it miserable there. I smile as I drift off to sleep and the boy from the diner pops into my head. I sigh as I realize I'm never going to see him again. But I smile as the good memories come back, and I drift off into a peaceful sleep.