Chapter Three

Hope you are enjoying it so far!
Matthew Daddario as Joshua
     I wake up the next morning feeling much better. But dread quickly fills me as I realize I have to go home. I don't want to be alone with him.
     I get out of bed and and walk to the bathroom, finally seeing my face for the first time. I gasp when I see myself. My long, auburn hair is ratted and knotted, my eyes are red and puffy, but the most noticeable thing is the big, blue, purple, and yellow bruise that takes up almost the entire right side of my face. I look horrible.
     I splash some cold water on my face and take a deep breath, trying to forget last nights events. I look at the mirror again and sigh in relief. My eyes are no longer red and puffy, and the bruise looks a bit better. I find a brush on the counter and start taming my wild hair. I feel much better when I'm done.
     I walk out of the bathroom and go to the kitchen. Monica and Joshua are sitting there with mugs of coffee.
     "Hey, guys." I sit down next to Monica, who looks at my cheek. She shakes her head, silently, but then talks.
     "Good morning, Ara, how did you sleep?" She smiles, but I can see anger and sadness in her eyes.
     "Morning. I slept good, thanks for letting me stay." She smiles and rubs my shoulder.
     "You don't need to thank me. You're always welcome to stay. I just wish you didn't have to come so late. You could've gotten caught. You know King John doesn't tolerate people who break curfew." It wouldn't of been good if I had been caught. I probably would've been caned. That's something you don't normally recover from.
     "It was the only time I could get away. I came as soon as it happened. I made sure to hide if I saw any guards." I'm lucky I didn't get caught. Monica nods, satisfied with my answer.
     We sit in silence for a while before I speak.
     "I need to go home. I have to get ready for work." I love my job. I work in a cute, little diner as a waitress. If I don't leave soon, I'm gonna be late.
     "I'll walk with you. I don't want you alone with that man." She gets up and puts her shoes on. I don't bother arguing with her because she'll go anyway, and I'm relieved she's coming with me. I won't have to face dad alone.
     "Ok, let's go." Monica kisses Josh and we walk out the front door.
     Monica lives about a mile away and it only takes a few minutes to walk, even less if you run. I smile as an idea pops into my head.
     "You up for a race, big sis?" I say,playfully. Monica laughs and smirks, I smirk back.
     "You think you can beat me, little sis? It's on." We both stop walking.
     "One... Two... Three... Go!" I start running, pacing myself, while Monica sprints ahead as fast as she can. She starts slowing down after a minute, she tired herself out quickly. I quickly pass her, staying just ahead of her. Until I see my house, then I sprint as fast as I can, Monica right behind me. My hand touches our mailbox and I stop, catching my breath.
     I open the mailbox, checking it since I was right there anyway, and see a letter with my name on it. I open it and read.

     Dear Arabella,
Since you are between the age of  16 and 20, you are eligible to participate in the Prince's Selection. If you wish to participate, please fill out the form included with this letter and turn it in by December 27. Please remember that you are not guaranteed a place in Prince Adrian's Selection. Good luck.
Sincerely,
                   King John and Queen Hadley

     My first thought after I finish reading is 'Why would I want to compete for a heart I don't want?' But then I realize something. I can get away from my father.
     I turn to Monica, a smile on my face.
     "It's about the Selection. Prince Adrian has come of age. I can get away from dad." Maybe. There's a very small chance that I will actually be Chosen.
     "Ara, that's great! I know you'll win. You're gorgeous!" I laugh, shaking my head.
     "Thanks for the compliment. But you're very wrong." Monica's eyes widen as she stares at me in disbelief. She starts to speak, but I cut her off.
     "Come on, let's go inside and fill out the form." I start walking to the front door and she follows.
     I get to the door and reach for the doorknob. But I can't get myself to open the door. I don't know what kind of mood he will be in.
     "Hey," I look over at Monica, "You'll be alright. I'll be there the entire time." I smile, grateful to have such an amazing sister.
     "Thanks." She smiles. I take a deep breath and push open the door. It creaks loudly and I hear a crash from down the hall. Oh no.
     "Arabella Delilah Peterson!" My father bellows in rage, stomping down the hall. He stops in shock when he sees who I'm with.  "Monica?"