1. Death From Failure

Start from the beginning

"What did you want again?" Eva reminded him.

He cleared his throat. "You look very stunning in that dress, baby." And, indeed, she did. The red velvet dress flattered her figure completely with off the shoulder, long sleeves, a fitting bodice and a flowing skirt down to her ankles. The whole dress was dotted with large, black roses.

"Is this a poor attempt to distract me? What's the real reason?" There was a hint of amusement in her voice.

Jett bit his lip. "Rex is back," he replied sheepishly.

"And..?" She raised a thin, brown eyebrow.

"He failed." His voice was barely audible.

Eva swivelled in her chair and Jett moved out the way in time for her to slam both hands down on the desk. It was warm from when he was seated on it moments earlier.

"What?" She screamed in anger. "Bring him in here now!"

Shaking, he stumbled over to the door. He wouldn't dare argue, though he paused before placing a hand on the doorknob.

"I said NOW, Jett! You can't save him and you know that, right?"

Without another word and a defeated look, Jett yanked the door open and called out.

"In here now, Rex!"

Eva was surprised, yet impressed, at how quickly he composed himself. A tall, bald man tripped into the room with his hands behind his back. His gaze was fixed on the floor. For a built man, he sure looked vulnerable in his stance at that very moment.

"Rex, Rex, Rex, my dear Rex," she chanted. Jett closed the door once Rex was a few steps in. The click of the door shutting brought Rex to a halt. He briefly glanced at Eva before averting his eyes to the orange sofa to the left of the desk, then at the window behind Eva which took up the whole wall before finally settling on the desk. (The room was kept the way it was seven years ago, only with the addition of the orange chair). "Welcome to my office."

"Y-yes, ma'am?" He stuttered while Jett took up the position of behind Eva, placing both hands on the head of the chair.

Eva smirked, fully enjoying the sight of the fidgeting man before her. Rex wasn't a man who feared easily; with a build like his and the skills he had, most were afraid of him so she took advantage of this rare situation. Rex was good at his job so he had nothing to fear in the past.

"I hear you didn't retrieve the files, is that true?" It wasn't the matter that she didn't believe Jett when he said Rex failed, but she merely enjoyed the shaking in his voice. She liked the feeling of being in control.

"Yeah, b-but let me e-explain." Once again their eyes met.

"Did I not make it clear how important it is to get them back?"

"Just l-let me explain."

"Go ahead. Not that it'll do you any good." She mumbled the latter under her breath, already reaching for the top draw of her desk.

"If I hadn't run, they would've c-captured me," Rex spoke more confidently, believing he found a way out. By this time, Eva had taken out a tiny, cylinder object that was glowing silver out of the draw. She rested both elbows on the desk and chucked the object, which was smaller than the palm of her hand, from one hand to another.

Upon the sight of this, Rex took a step back until he was rested against the door. Jett gripped onto the chair harder.

"Put him over there, Jett." Eva pointed to a spot in front of her not too far from the desk. She adjusted her dress, smoothing out the creases with one hand while holding up the object in the other.