Stupid Love

They say love makes you do stupid things, but what if love was the stupid thing? I had seen every great romance crash and burn in front my eyes. My parents were high school sweet hearts; they were best friends upon till two years ago. Dad cheated and mom divorced him the second she found out. It left a rift between everyone in my family, my mom was destroyed. Everything seemed to have gotten better when Chelsea, my college graduate sister got engaged but the groom called the wedding off. He said he was too young to be tied down. Ever since then, I didn't believe in everlasting love. All there was were moments, times you had to cherish because it wouldn't last forever. 

“Hey grumpy! Where’s the rest of the dwarfs?” my sisters says picking me up and hour late from school.

“There aren't even seven of us.” I snarl at her and slide in the car.

“Sorry I’m late, I was on a coffee date.” She says russling my hair.

I narrow my head at her, “Glad to see your finally over Mitch.”

    She rolls her eyes and drives off. Chelsea says when Mitch and her met, sparks flied. She said when they kissed; it was like they were the only people on earth. Then when he was gone, it felt like someone had ripped her still beating heart out her chest.  I wanted a romance like there’s, that until it crashed and burned. Love is a dead end, a road that must come to an end. When it ends, you’re left there lost and alone. 

“I almost forgot, did they announce it at school yet?” my sister basically screams as we pull into the drive way.

“Announce what?”

“Jake t. Austin, he’s moving to our town.  I think for a detox or whatever.” She says skipping off the ground.

“Who’s he?” 

      I knew who Jake t. Austin was, I just wanted to see my sister get upset. I never paid much attention to him until he played Jesus in the Fosters, I watch it every Monday. My school had announced it but I didn’t care. He was just another person, just like me. Even if I did have any form of interest in him, he would never return it. I was plain and boring. I was like grumpy from the seven dwarfs, just like my sister said.

“Hi mom” I say before heading towards the stairs.

“Why don’t you ever give me a hug or anything? You’re the least affectionate person I’m ever met Mackenzie.” She says reaching out to give me a hug,

“I told you to call me Mac.”

Chelsea laughs, “We’re not one of your stoner friends.”

        I roll my eyes at them and run to my room. Gosh! I hated my family.  My mom named me Mackenzie because of my grandmother on dad’s side. The fact is, I hated dad. I haven’t seen him in six months, he doesn't even call. I might have told him never to speak to me again but I didn't expect him to actually listen. I was only being a kid.

“Mac! Let down your golden hair.” Someone shouts from outside my window. 

I laugh and poke my head out, “what are you guys doing here?”

Jace, the skater boy in our group, tipped his hat over at me, “That celebrity dude is moving in, the truck just came. We’re going to get the first picture.”

I Laugh, “I’m coming down.”

       I tell mom I’m going out with the gang , she doesn’t argue because she can’t win.  There was only four of us, not seven. It was me, Jace, Nikki, and Kyle. Nikki was the emo rebel in our group. Kyle was the scholar kid who was bad everywhere else but class. 

“There he is!” Nikki shouts pointing at the boy carrying a box inside the big house. “Wow he’s hot.”

“Nikki, last time I checked your boyfriend was standing right next to you.” Kyle says punching her shoulder.

I smile at the sweet faced boy, “I’m going to go say hi.”

      They try and pull me back but I was already in the open. It was way too late to turn back.

“Did you get bored of sitting behind that bush?” the boy says before I could say a word.

I blush, “how could you have possibly seen me?”

“I didn't see, I heard.” He says taking another box out the truck.

“Don’t you have guys to do this for you?” I asked crossing my arms.

“I’m here to be like anyone else, I don’t need guys for this. I do have two arms.” 

“Wow, you’re a jerk. I’m out of here.” I say turning away from him but he quickly grabs at my arm.

          His eyes were beautiful, preposterously astonishing. His tossed back hair glistened beneath the moonlight. Wait, what? No, what am I talking about? No feelings for you Mac.

“My friends are in the grass taking pictures of you, I think that stupid but it’s them so. I’m sorry for wasting your time.” I tell him pulling his arm away from mine.

“You didn't waste my time, I’m glad I met you…” he says and begins to look confused.

“Mac”

He grins, “I’m glad I met you Mac, I’ll see you around town I guess.”

“Maybe.” 

      I look away from him and walk away before I would do something stupid. My friends caught up to me once I was out of his sight. They were all laughing and grinning.

“Did you see how he looked at you Mac? Sparks were flying.” Nikki says throwing her hands over my shoulder.

Kyle takes my hand and swings it, “he looked at you like how Jace looks at you.”

I look around, “where is Jace?”

Nikki laughs, “He got upset and left. You can’t blame him; he’s in love with you. We saw how Jake was looking at you and how you looked at him. It was classic Romeo and Juliet.”

        Love was deceiving and misleading, it always ends with a broken heart not till death do we part. I had to admit, Jake and I had a moment. His eyes seemed to have looked within my soul, his voice must have spoken to my weary heart. Wow I sounded like a love sick puppy.