fifty two

it was awkward. standing next to you in the courthouse.

"you don't have to do this you know."

your hand edged its way to mine and squeezed.

I raised my head and bowed slightly. "I know."

a void was in the air, until I spoke again.

"I'm sorry for getting angry and leaving you both and saying what I did. it was wrong of me to walk out of you and chanhee's life."

"hm, what are you saying?" you arched a brow as you smoothened out your blazer.

"chanhee is so young, he doesn't hurt because he doesn't know what's going on. but I've witnessed you getting talked about and judged by so many people and the last thing you needed was for me to make everything harder by not being around to help you get through it."

I tucked in your tie, silent as I tried to find the rest of my words.

"I was selfish, and I completely ignored just how much strength it must've took for you to put your own agenda aside and decide to foster this precious little boy and to take it up on yourself to find a mother for him."

the tip of your thumb rested on my chin and you tilted your head, carefully fixing the strands of my ponytail.

"I forgive you for that, and at the same time I want to thank you. miso you didn't have to come back for him. for us. you could've decided to leave him with those people but something in your heart made you protect him."

you pressed your lips against my ear and carefully placed your arm on my shoulder.

"you will always be more like a mother to chanhee than anyone ever will because you were willing to suffer for him, you were embarrassed and looked down on because of us. we caused you a lot of pain but you pressed through it. how could we ever not forgive a woman like that? how could I not want a woman in my life like that?"

woman. you were the first person to see as a woman since all of this began.

we embraced with a hug and stepped back, checking each other's appearance once again.
you put on a tailored suit and I wore my best dress.
you'd think we were preparing for a wedding.
but today wasn't that day. it was better than that.

as we stepped inside the courtroom my heart warmed as we laid eyes on our precious dumpling all dressed up in his tiny vest and pants.

"yoongi, miso; here are the custody papers. this little boy here is now yours."

chanhee smiled as the lady released him and he ran. I quickly bent down and met his embrace, lucky not to have fallen over when he threw himself at me.

you bent down beside us; rubbing the boy's head and smiling.

"so have you decided who's name you'd like chanhee to take?"

"yes he'll be taking on my name." me and chanhee both glanced up as you stood, bowing respectfully.

taking on your last name meant a lot, it meant that he would forever identify with you;

we spent several nights discussing the subject and the final decision was reached because I thought that he's known you and you've loved him longer than I have.

"alright then, we'll finish up getting the official name change written out and you'll be going home soon."

the elder women bent down; looking to chanhee with a smile.

"min chanhee."

he looked up, slightly confused at his new title.

"you're going home today, are you excited?"

he nodded, his cute bob bouncing.

"I'm excited to go live with appa and eomma again." he giggled.

the rest of the day went by so fast, how could it not? time flies when you're with those you love.