fourty nine

I didn't know what to say or what to think,

who were these people with chanhee?

and the only other person I trusted to watch over this child wasn't in sight...where was yoongi?

the back of my neck began to warm as I got nervous.

"hi chanhee...who are you with today?"

the child looked up at the two adults who looked down at me; perhaps questioning how I knew this boy.

"they're my-"

"I'm his father and this is his mother, and you might be?" the man outstretched his hand for me to shake. I declined.

"miso, I've been watching over chanhee for a few months because we could never find...you."

narrowing my eyes I reached down to hold chanhee's shoulder.

"it sure took you a while to find him..."

his mother smiled; stepping in front of her husband and gripping chanhee's other shoulder; her smile bright but her eyes seeming impatient.

"and we're very grateful to have him back again."

I felt someone tap my shoulder, and I let them pass me in line to get ice cream.

I wasn't hungry anymore.

"well I would love to hear how you learned where to find him."

the adults exchanged a glance before pulling chanhee in close.

"we'd love to but we really need to get our baby boy home and get him cleaned up." his mother pointed out and started to walk away.

"it was nice meeting you." the huskiness of his fathers voice made me shiver as they walked to the door.

I turned and fiddled my fingers, nervously watching as chanhee held another woman's hand.

please look at me. please look at me.
just give me a look. just give me a small sign.

as if he heard my thoughts he turned and locked eyes.

and I dropped everything to run to him.